GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 (115k miles) has started missing. It won’t idle and blows black smoke out the pipes. It also doesn’t want to hold any constant speed (at any RPM) but seems to run okay when accelerating. I’ve checked the plugs and they are black (rich??). I’m following the diagnostic procedures in the service manual and have not found the problem and have no DTC codes.
I have two questions:
1. Will a fuel pressure tester from my local auto parts store have the right connector for the fuel rail?
2. My model (ABS) doesn’t have O2 sensors but has “air fuel ratio” sensors. I’m wondering if one is misreading lean and the ECM is over compensating with a rich mode. Would pulling the connector(s) force the ECM to go into a default mode that wouldn’t be so rich? Would that possibly show me that I have a bad sensor?
Thanks…

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
My 2006 (115k miles) has started missing. It won’t idle and blows black smoke out the pipes. It also doesn’t want to hold any constant speed (at any RPM) but seems to run okay when accelerating. I’ve checked the plugs and they are black (rich??). I’m following the diagnostic procedures in the service manual and have not found the problem and have no DTC codes.
I have two questions:
1. Will a fuel pressure tester from my local auto parts store have the right connector for the fuel rail?
2. My model (ABS) doesn’t have O2 sensors but has “air fuel ratio” sensors. I’m wondering if one is misreading lean and the ECM is over compensating with a rich mode. Would pulling the connector(s) force the ECM to go into a default mode that wouldn’t be so rich? Would that possibly show me that I have a bad sensor?
Thanks…
I never new that any 1800 didn't have 02 sensors.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,471 Posts
I have two questions:
Thanks…
Have you checked your oil level lately, it might be low. Yes, the gauge should have the right adaptor and I think you will find the pressure is way too high. Unplug the O2, A/F sensors, what ever they want to call them and let the bike run in "limp home" mode and see what it does if the fuel rail pressure checks ok.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked your oil level lately, it might be low. Yes, the gauge should have the right adaptor and I think you will find the pressure is way too high. Unplug the O2, A/F sensors, what ever they want to call them and let the bike run in "limp home" mode and see what it does if the fuel rail pressure checks ok.
Thanks techdude2000. I've been pulling my hair out over this one. I'll check my oil level but I’m curious why you think that might have something to do with my problem. I’m hoping my pressure will turn up high. At least I’ll know which direction to head in to fix the problem.

Thanks…

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,471 Posts
Does it smoke at idle? The oil level check would show low if the seal in the clutch cover lets go and sprays oil as a mist and the intake sucks it in as part of the PCV system. We haven't seen one of these in awhile.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Does it smoke at idle? The oil level check would show low if the seal in the clutch cover lets go and sprays oil as a mist and the intake sucks it in as part of the PCV system. We haven't seen one of these in awhile.
Wow! I never would have thought of that being a possible problem. Guess that is why I am not a Gold Wing (or any other motocycle) mechanic. Very interesting stuff gets posted to this board. Thanks Techdude2000.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My oil level is good - thank God!!! I'll get a pressure tester and if it tests okay then I'll try the air fuel ratio sensor disconnect.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Possibly fuel pressure regulator no functioning.??? Or maybe just need to get the injectors cleaned...

·
Registered
250 Posts
DARN!!! I thought this thread was about a naughty girl!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disconnected the air fuel ratio connectors and started the bike – thinking I would get a blinking FI light and the ECM going into “fail-safe” mode. The motor is missing badly and I was hoping that “fail-safe” mode would point me to the problem sensor (if that is what it is). I got no blinking FI light which makes no sense to me. I also disconnected the BARO connector thinking I would get a 6-1 code (BARO sensor circuit low voltage – less than 0.2V) but the FI light still did not blink. It does work because it lights when I first turn the key on and then goes out. Anybody have any idea what I’m doing wrong??? I’m stumped but don’t yet want to go the dealer. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator but got no improvement. :cry:
Thanks…

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,471 Posts
:eek:4: That sounds like a bad ECM. It should have thrown a code for the A/F sensors as well as the baro sensor. Do you have anyone near by that will let you try their ECM in your bike?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I disconnected the air fuel ratio connectors and started the bike – thinking I would get a blinking FI light and the ECM going into “fail-safe” mode. The motor is missing badly and I was hoping that “fail-safe” mode would point me to the problem sensor (if that is what it is). I got no blinking FI light which makes no sense to me. I also disconnected the BARO connector thinking I would get a 6-1 code (BARO sensor circuit low voltage – less than 0.2V) but the FI light still did not blink. It does work because it lights when I first turn the key on and then goes out. Anybody have any idea what I’m doing wrong??? I’m stumped but don’t yet want to go the dealer. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator but got no improvement. :cry:
Thanks…
That's not right.:eek:4:

:eek:4: That sounds like a bad ECM. It should have thrown a code for the A/F sensors as well as the baro sensor. Do you have anyone near by that will let you try their ECM in your bike?
I agree with TD.
If the bike is still in warranty,I'd let the dealer sort it out with Techline at Honda.

But It sounds like you are either out of warranty or just don't trust the dealer near you from what you already put in the bike?

Trying out a friends ECM is a great idea to rule that out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. I bought an extra ECM a couple of years ago (I have a bad habit of buying things I don't need - more money than brains I guess) and have swapped it out but didn't make a difference.

Would a vacuum hose leak (going to the pressure regulator) cause my problem? - missing engine, not ECM not reporting error.

I've been out of warranty for some time.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,471 Posts
The vacuum hose being loose will cause it to run bad because the regulator won't regulate correctly off of idle, but that wouldn't keep the FI light from coming on with a disconnected sensor. If you have the service manual, check your grounds and the power lines going to the ECM, there's more than one of each.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vacuum hose being loose will cause it to run bad because the regulator won't regulate correctly off of idle, but that wouldn't keep the FI light from coming on with a disconnected sensor. If you have the service manual, check your grounds and the power lines going to the ECM, there's more than one of each.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check the ground and power per the service manual tomorrow.
I just want to make sure that I’m doing what should cause a FI light error code by removing the BARO sensor connector and starting the bike. It’s in neutral, not in gear and not moving. Is there anything else that I need to do to cause it to throw a code?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
2 things... we're both in Jax fl so if you want I can swing by.

Please pull your spark plugs and tell us what the look like or take a pic and post it. Please label the plugs so we know which one went where.

Ecm reset... have you done one?

Pm me for contact info

When was the last time the plugs and air filter were changed?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
With the known information so far.

Pull the plug covers, start the bike, now one at a time pull a plug wire. If the engine runs the same, keep pulling and replacing, which cylinders cause the engine to die or run worse if you pull them?? Now which cylinders do not cause a change??

Those that do not may not be firing, the engine is not running properly and some cylinders not at all, so you get excess fuel and the black and the smoke.

At this point I suspect ignition problems, start at the plugs, to the coils, and keep tracing.

From the plug wires to the connector at the ECM.

Are the plugs black ......like sooty, dark brown, or wet with oil??

Anyways I suspect the ignition system.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I had something similar on my 06. Turned out to be old spark plugs that did not get changed. Let's look at simple.fixes first.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts