GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder why people we have never met always feel compelled to let me (any biker) know about a friend, acquaintance, family member, friend of a friend, or guy they read about in the paper ,that was killed, maimed or neutered while riding a motorcycle? Do they think it is going to make us feel better knowing that we dont have to share the road with the person in their story? Did you ever just want to ask em' what kind of bike they were riding when they got t-boned by the fuel truck/Lincoln/low flying aircraft? I mean I could use a flag mount if it survived the fire!
I dont think its funny when people get into accidents. I think its funny that complete strangers need to tell me that they wouldnt get on a bike because their neighbors brother in law rear ended a 19foot Chris Craft last year and drown because his helmet and leathers weighed him down..

·
Registered
342 Posts
We get this all the time.

If they are a real pain about it I tell them an involved story about a crash we were in a few years back and how we were both killed and mangled.:wrong:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's their way of trying to find 'common ground' with motorcycle riders. Unfortunately the only 'common ground' they can find with us is in the grave yard!

I wonder if they use the same ploy when trying to speak with someone holding a 'beer'? :tongue:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It's their way of trying to find 'common ground' with motorcycle riders. Unfortunately the only 'common ground' they can find with us is in the grave yard!

I wonder if they use the same ploy when trying to speak with someone holding a 'beer'? :tongue:
I suspect this is a bit like flying. As a pilot I am alwyas interested in reading accident reports because you can learn from them. Even a bad habit can be dangerous. I think to a lesser extent that is true of motorcycles. That is the only reason I'd be interested in reading about an accident.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Holding a beer. Shame , Shame. :roll:

The next door preacher tole me I am going to hell for holding a beer. Then he had a party and his deacons threw all the beer cans over the fence unto my place.

So I pissed him off so bad, he tole me he is never coming over here again. :lol:

I am ready for him, he will be back, he says those motorcycles are dangerous too.........

I will tell him he is going to hell, cause you lied to me. You said you were never coming back over here, you lied. You are going to hell. Lol!!

:-(

I suppose it is just what people do. They wish to impress you with their great wisdom and knowledge of how dangerous a motorcycle is. Many people I meet daily have no idea I ride one. If they find out their whole attitude changes, it is just a part of things.

They are sheep, easily led, fearful, go on a all veggie diet and then die from falling in their tub.

Just what people do.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Imagine having a BMT on the back! :wrong:

I have a friend who I am helping get over that fear by taking her on a few easy, non twisty type roads occassionally. She is terrified, not from riding but from hearing stories but she enjoys being on a bike as a passenger if she can get past the mental thing.

As I told my parents and my kids, I ride to the best of my abilities and I could go today, sitting on the couch. If something happens out there on the road, know it happened with me doing what I enjoy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was unfortunate to see the end result of a motorcycle running in the triple digits hitting a slow moving tractor/mower. It ended up with myself and co worker getting our turnout gear replaced. Pieces and parts everywhere organic and metal / plastic/ rubber. Rig decon took over 1 hour.

Enjoyed a nice ride home on the Wing from work, and always keeping an eye on the Prowler RTE's.....and looking forward to the next one.

Motto of the story? I'm ready for a RTE.......

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I tend to ask if the person who was riding the bike had any experience riding. Typically htere are two possible responses.

1. They had never been on a bike before.

2. They had been riding for decades.

If it's the first, I point out that I have a lot of experience not only on bikes, but close to 40,000 miles on the bike I now ride. I am well trained, I maintain my bike and I take nothing for granted.

If it's the second, I start chewing them out about how it was obvious that whoever hit them was a moron who needed to have their license taken away years before because they were incompetent to drive a tricycle. I then point out that noone was safe with them on the road, and it woldn't matter if they hit a Motorcycle of a school bus, someone would have been killed.

Sadly, I have yet to be wrong.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Why not just ask them about friends, family and newspaper articles on getting killed in car accidents and why doesn't that prevent them from driving. Same conditions apply.

Normally I mention a plane accident here in Detroit (Flight 255, 8-16-1987) that killed 2 people in a pickup and 154 on the plane. Those people in the pickup died in a plane crash just like the ones on the plane. The point being that it can happen anywhere, anytime and you can't go through life trying to play it safe all the time.

My nephew died in a MC crash and it has not dampened my enthusiasm one iota. It just made me sad that he tried to do things he had no training for (wheelies and high speed).

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Yep, hear it all the time.

My boss even said that she should have asked me if I rode in the interview. She had a high school sweetheart killed on a bike. :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
I always thought it was them justifying why they didn't ride motorcycles.

Once they tell their tale, they feels secure in their decision not to ride.

I also get the feeling they are implying that I am not wise for riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had this happen to me just yesterday, my response was that due to my grandfather falling and dying in the shower I had no choice but to purchase a motorcycle, with a very puzzled look on the gentleman’s face I explained that there was no way I was going to get into a shower or tub due to how dangerous they are. I instead will just ride my bike in the rain and clean off in that manor, took him what seemed like an entire minute before he realized I was joking. To each their own I just have fun with it, now I also fly a powered parachute you think that you get comments about how dangerous a motorcycle is, strap yourself into a go cart with a huge parachute and see what people say. :shock:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Holding a beer. Shame , Shame. :roll:

The next door preacher tole me I am going to hell for holding a beer. Then he had a party and his deacons threw all the beer cans over the fence unto my place.

So I pissed him off so bad, he tole me he is never coming over here again.
Shame, shame.........disrespecting a man of the cloth....one who knows all the answers....one who knows the only true way.....how could (dare) you? And in South Carolina no less....YOU ARE DOOMED. Move out...change your name...change your sinning ways.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
We get this all the time.

If they are a real pain about it I tell them an involved story about a crash we were in a few years back and how we were both killed and mangled.:wrong:
That's awesome.......LMAO. I'm going to use that in the future. Thanks.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Had this happen to me just yesterday, my response was that due to my grandfather falling and dying in the shower I had no choice but to purchase a motorcycle, with a very puzzled look on the gentleman’s face I explained that there was no way I was going to get into a shower or tub due to how dangerous they are. I instead will just ride my bike in the rain and clean off in that manor, took him what seemed like an entire minute before he realized I was joking. To each their own I just have fun with it, now I also fly a powered parachute you think that you get comments about how dangerous a motorcycle is, strap yourself into a go cart with a huge parachute and see what people say. :shock:
How bad to the winds have to get before you stop flying one of those?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I hear it too. I think they mean well.
But now I'm armed with some clever responses....(I'm partial to the one about the shower!)
ob

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I suppose statistically riding a motorcycle is riskier than, what . . . driving a car? Perhaps. But statistics only suggest a trend; they cannot predict what will happen to YOU on any given day, and I've always maintained "when your time is up . . . your time is UP!, whether you sitting on your GL1800, or the porcelain throne at home". Case in point: a co-worker who lived in Las Vegas told me a true story of a friend of hers that was driving across the Nevada desert some years ago on a stretch of 4 lane highway that was probably one of the most desolate sections of the world for vehicular traffic at that time of day. She apparently experienced some kind of car trouble and pulled over to the side of the road to look under the hood to see if she could find anything amiss. While she was bent over under the hood, a semi passing in the opposite side of the highway probably doing about 90 mph, threw a tire which crossed over the 4 lanes and smashed into her friend on the other side. Killed her instantly.

Now if that isn't the perfect example of someone's time being "up" - I don't know what is!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It is just another excuse they use to explain why they are afraid to LIVE life!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts