GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They were doing road construction, ate up the old asphalt, made a small "ramp" aout of gravel as a transition to the lower surface. I pulled out and the enging case hit square on the bottom center. I didn't thing it was that bad. I was wrong. When I got home, 1/2 hour later I walk into the garage and saw a puddle. I knew right then it was bad. I took off the belly pan, and sure enough...4 cracks leakin oil around the bolt right in the center of the case. :22yikes: It seems this will be covered by my insurance but the bad news is that I may be wingless a month. The Honda dealers don't seem to know of any time that they have had to take one all the way down and replace the cases. The bill could exceed $3500. Hond calls for 24 hrs labor. I am really dissapointed.........Jet :shrug:

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
too Bad!!! Look at the bright side, you will be able to enjoy "cooler" riding in the spring!!!

Matt(BCNV):roll:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The old 750 Hondas used to be bad about breaking the drive chain and the loose end of the chain breaking the engine case. I have seen a guy I used to work with fix them with and aluminum beer can and JB Weld when the customer did not want to go through the expense of replacing the engine cases. Of course the cases would never come apart again with out some damage. Don't' think it would be a problem with the wing's cases.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
sorry to hear the case is ruined, well at least u had a belly pan, now u won't have to listen to everyone telling u how a belly pan would have prevented the damage, belly pan on a wing is almost useless :thumbup:

·
Registered
556 Posts
be sure to CYA on the insurance claim. go out and take pics of the road construction and close ups of the belly buster. take pics of the bottom of the bike too.
dont ask me how i know.....:nojoke:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
too Bad!!! Look at the bright side, you will be able to enjoy "cooler" riding in the spring!!!

Matt(BCNV):roll:

Oh Matt, you ARE the eternal optimist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
be sure to CYA on the insurance claim. go out and take pics of the road construction and close ups of the belly buster. take pics of the bottom of the bike too.
dont ask me how i know.....:nojoke:
:agree::agree::agree:

Sorry to hear of you misfortune and hope it doesnt take that long to get her back.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I cringe when I hear things like this. No bike for a month !
And $3500 to repair!! Ouch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did take pics of the cracks, scene and belly pan. i did not file a police report yet because I did not realize I had a proble until I was already home and saw the puddle. The insurance folks did not seem to have a problem...so far and led me to beleive that I should be covered. An adjuster will be over to look at the bike. The external side of the belly pan only has minimal damage, about a 4 inch circle scrape right in the center. With the pan off, the inside cleary shows a severe compression mark of the center of the engine case. pretty cut and dry what happened. Thanks for all the advice folks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
:agree::agree::agree:

And, think about filing a claim with the applicable public agency for any otherwise-uncovered (deductible, inconvenience) expenses. If it isn't too large, they may just pay as a risk management strategy -- rather than go through the hassle of a lawsuit for damages.

I work for a transportation agency, but that doesn't mean that there aren't reasons for filing legitimate, and fact-based-amount, damage claims.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Different folk have different opinions !!!

Mine is that if you hadn't had the belly pan in place, you may very well have not made it anywhere or have lost enough oil to cause damage internally to your engine. It's my opinion that the belly pan, while never intended to protect against a strike of this intensity, likely kept the damage from being worse.

This is, of course, my own opinion, and you are entitled to yours. We each do what we think is best for our own needs. I am aware of situations where other kinds of protection have broken and allowed unintended results.:22yikes: That does not mean it's not wise to use any protection that's available!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
sorry to hear the case is ruined, well at least u had a belly pan, now u won't have to listen to everyone telling u how a belly pan would have prevented the damage, belly pan on a wing is almost useless :thumbup:
Yep, you are correct. A belly pan is useless in a situation like this. They are not designed or intended to absorb a full weight jolt like this one. But if you think that a belly pan on a Wing is almost useless then you are just plain unrealistic.

·
Registered
889 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Who do you use for insurance coverage?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
They were doing road construction, ate up the old asphalt, made a small "ramp" aout of gravel as a transition to the lower surface. I pulled out and the enging case hit square on the bottom center. I didn't thing it was that bad. I was wrong. When I got home, 1/2 hour later I walk into the garage and saw a puddle. I knew right then it was bad. I took off the belly pan, and sure enough...4 cracks leakin oil around the bolt right in the center of the case. :22yikes: It seems this will be covered by my insurance but the bad news is that I may be wingless a month. The Honda dealers don't seem to know of any time that they have had to take one all the way down and replace the cases. The bill could exceed $3500. Hond calls for 24 hrs labor. I am really dissapointed.........Jet :shrug:

Ah to dream like this would be grand..Sorry to hear about your bike.:eek:4:

Hmmm 24 hrs huh..My bike has been in the shop for 4 mos 3 weeks waiting for the cases/tranny to be rebuilt.(They told me they hate warranty work)
I hope your dealer treats you better than these bums are doing to me.Seeing you are a straight labor rate (ins job),I'm sure you'll get your bike back ASAP provided they get there hands on a set of cases PDQ.

I too would file a report with the police and the construction company for your deductable.
I feel that belly pay helps the engine slide up over that hump.Had it not been there you may have been acrilic shield plastic out of your teeth.:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yep, you are correct. A belly pan is useless in a situation like this. They are not designed or intended to absorb a full weight jolt like this one. But if you think that a belly pan on a Wing is almost useless then you are just plain unrealistic.
:agree:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

I had a belly pan on and one day as I changed the oil I saw this.

Dam speed bumps,but the pan let me slide over them vs grinding my cases into them!

That pan was only .020.
I made this one out of .060 Aluminum for a little added protection.
Would it of helped the OP.Don't know?? But I'd rather have it there.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts