G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 01 smells like battery acid after warm up, only smell it when stopped

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've heard it described as everything from sulfur to rotten eggs, but battery acid is a first. If it's the same smell that all the rest of us have, it's the catalitic converter. When running down the road you leave it behind for everyone else to enjoy. (unless the wind is blowing just right). When you stop, it gets ya. I was following a pickup the other day in my car and the truck was giving off the exact same oder.

Ahhhh...the smell of unleaded in the mornin :mrgreen: .

You might check your battery for leakage just in case. The overheated batteries I've smelled in the past smelled like potato salad to me. :s9:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure apreciate your response, I've checked the battery, it's ok. cadillac converter only makes sense. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try Chevron Premium Gas, the odor from my catylist is all but eliminated. I find the cheaper gas is the major cause. It takes a couple of fill ups or just live with the odor to save a dime!

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Don't think it has much to do with the brand of fuel you use! The hotter I get mine the worse it stinks. I'd pour water in the tank if I thought it would run on it. Higher octane doesn't seem to do a thing for the 1800 except make your wallet lighter. :(

·
Registered
354 Posts
1800 smell

i noticed when i first got my 02 and hadden't read the book i filled the gas right to the top like i used to do on the 1500. that made it stink terrible for a few tanks

·
Registered
810 Posts
GL1800 Odor

I can't tell you for sure what it is, but I've heard this and believe it might be a contributing factor.

I'm told that if you fill the tank all the way up to the neck where the nozzle will shut off, and then keep trickling more fuel in their where you basically are milking it for all it's worth that because you are taking away the extra air in the tank that helps with the pressurizing that it will cause the smell.

Now, that is simply what I heard and I'm not putting any truth to it or taking any away from it. I've tried to watch my gas fill up technique in correlation to this and can't say I can say yeah or neah, but you might want to think about it and see if you find any correlation.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
OKAY, WHOS BEEN TALKING TO MY WIFE

OOOOPS, sorry though you were talking about something else :D :D :D :eek:4:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The difference in the amount of odor that some of you mention could very well be different with different brands of gas. The odor is a function of how much sulfur is in the fuel. Some companies buy house brand and some companies have their own specifications. I worked in a large refinery for 33 years and is spite of people saying all gasoline is the same, that is simply not true. We had different specs for Mobil, Texaco, Shell, Clark. etc. And some bought our house brand. Each customer also gets their own additives added when the truck or barge or rail car or whatever is loaded.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
OldSid said:
The difference in the amount of odor that some of you mention could very well be different with different brands of gas. The odor is a function of how much sulfur is in the fuel.
I agree. That has been my experience too with a car I used to have. I have had no problems with my Wing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about Mexican food.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
;1091374 said:
The difference in the amount of odor that some of you mention could very well be different with different brands of gas. The odor is a function of how much sulfur is in the fuel. Some companies buy house brand and some companies have their own specifications. I worked in a large refinery for 33 years and is spite of people saying all gasoline is the same, that is simply not true. We had different specs for Mobil, Texaco, Shell, Clark. etc. And some bought our house brand. Each customer also gets their own additives added when the truck or barge or rail car or whatever is loaded.
I've wondered about the "seasonal" changes to fuel. I hear it was a myth and I've heard it was true. You might have the answer for me.

True? "winter" and "summer" formulations for fuel??

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've wondered about this for years. It isn't so much what brand of fuel I buy, but seems more related to what I had for lunch. I think it's just one of those mysteries of life that can never be explained.:shock:

·
Registered
4,091 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Run some Lucas fuel system cleaner through it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
;1090569 said:
I sure apreciate your response, I've checked the battery, it's ok. cadillac converter only makes sense. :)
Do you want to convert your Goldwing to a Cadillac or a Cadillac to a Goldwing? Either way the catalitic converter has nothing to do with it. :joke:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts