GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I and another friend decided to take off and head to Colorado from Central Texas. First stop was a mountain top in Texas called

As we got there a storm started coming in and we could see lightning in the distance. With all that lightning, we decided that the safest place to be was a high up on top of the volcano as we could get right?

What better place to be in a storm right?!!

From there we decided to take a trip into Colorado, Breckenridge, and a favorite - Mt. Evans. This is the highest paved road in the US.

Things were going pretty good for us until it came time to pick a Motel. The first motel was called Carl's Motel, but I call it Carl's Bad motel. We had to walk quite a way to get there and we were told we had to get out of there by dark *sigh* What the heck kinda motel is this that you can't even stay overnight????

So we decided to move on to the next motel. This one was called Mesa Verde and it was even worse then Carl's Bad motel. Mesa Verde didn't have any electricity, no running water, no AC and again we had to be out by dark. New Mexico is a rough place to find a motel.

And then things got ever worse. We decided to stop at Groom Lake and recreational area 51 for some rest. We thought the water would be relaxing and it would be a good place to stop. As we got there we were greated by guys in military uniforms pointing M-16's at us and telling us to leave immediately!! Boy New Mexico is rough on tourist.

So on we went, the three of us looking for a place to finally stop and rest.

We did manage to see one UFO near Groom Lake

I don't know why they called this black canyon, it wasn't black...

And they have some weird looking cattle in Colorado...

This guy was guarding one of the bathrooms on top of MT. EVANS.

Seriously, had a great safe trip and stopped to smell the roses... put on just over 3,000 miles on the round trip.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Great pics. It couldn't have been that bad if the pretty lady followed you the whole way. I did Mt. Evans in" 05" what a great view.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joke

Yeah, we had a great trip, I was just joking :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DOH!

Yeah, we covered so many states that I have over 500 pictures.
Carlsbad is in New Mexico
Mesa Verde is in Colorado
Black Canyon is in western Colorado
Roswell of course is in New Mexico

·
Registered
816 Posts
nice job

Nice photos, thanks for posting. The west is great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Pics of this trip

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More Photos II

:cry: THE END

·
Registered
110 Posts
convinced me!

Great collection of images DD! You convinced me. The last time we were in that neighborhood was 30 years ago with my wife (on 4 wheels). I am going to try to convince my #2 son that this would be another good ride for us.

Thanks for sharing!

j

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks for posting all the great pics.

I have GOT to go west this summer on vacation.

Dep

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I will be out in roswell,nm and around cripple creek co next week end.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cripple Creek

Be careful at Cripple Creek! They take your money there. :wink:

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Re: DOH!

Diverdan said:
Yeah, we covered so many states that I have over 500 pictures.
Carlsbad is in New Mexico
Mesa Verde is in Colorado
Black Canyon is in western Colorado
Roswell of course is in New Mexico
Very nice pictures, looks like an excellent ride. It is always more fun to ride with friends even under the worst conditions. One correction Capulin Volcano is in New Mexico.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Diverdan
Just got back home from colorado today sure was a lot more snow than in your pictures. I have a son that lives out there now so hope to be out there a lot more now.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Nice post Dan. Glad to see someone post some pictures (and beautiful ones too) in their ride report.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bad trip

Great pictures of the trip. I noticed your wife handles the Gold Wing comfortably. My sister has an 1800 that she is trying to get use to. Can you tell me how tall the wife is? thanks ic

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Bad trip

ivanhoe said:
Great pictures of the trip. I noticed your wife handles the Gold Wing comfortably. My sister has an 1800 that she is trying to get use to. Can you tell me how tall the wife is? thanks ic
All of 5 foot 7

Dan

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Those are great pics, and I bet it was an awesome trip.

I'm guessing you guys got a great deal on three pumpkin wings ? 8)

I've never seen three together I don't think.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
3 pumpkins

steve s said:
Those are great pics, and I bet it was an awesome trip.

I'm guessing you guys got a great deal on three pumpkin wings ? 8)

I've never seen three together I don't think.
We bought two of them the same day, and the third one about 4 months later. My wife had a honda shadow and on the way back from Fredricksburg one day she asked if she could drive the wing. It was all over from there, she put the shadow on ebay the next day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts