GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My remote (working, with fresh batteries) does not lock/unlock my trunk. Also, sometimes when I open or close the trunk, the horn will start blaring. Methinks the problem lies in that wiring harness that runs along the right side hinge of the trunk. A search of another thread listed the part number as SUB-HARNESS, TRUNK UNIT #32140-MCA-A71.

If my somewhat feeble diagnosis of my trouble is, in fact, this wiring harness, would anyone here be able to describe how to replace it or lead me to a thread that does?

Thanks!

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
try going to tech forum or how to and at search remote or trunck wiring. seen post you described - about 7/10 days ago i think. good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked high & low. Cannot find instructions on how to replace the harness.

·
Registered
649 Posts
you can replace the harness, there is one on each side, they will break again. The wires can't handle the bend radius. Cut back and splice in soft silicone wire in the broken wire locations.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hi David,

I am a david too! look at my thread..;
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?446937-sub-harness-release-for-trunk

Funny, i just had to got through this and there have been several posts related since.

its actually very easy to replace the sub harness. I have pics of the lower harness connector and how to get it apart. the upper is simple up inside the thrunk lid. PM me with a phone number if you want more help (verbally) as i just did mine about two weeks ago.

it is very easy once you know how to do the lower unplug. Upper was no problem.

Basically, cut the cable under the seat. makes it easier to work with the two halves (and since you are replaceing it anyway, not an issue. Wait until you have the connectors apart if it makes you feel better! )

Then unplug the lower connector under the seat, inside the rubber boot next to the box.

Next, undo your rear seat rest and remove it from the back of the trunk. Then take out all the screws for the trunk lid liner. This includes the four screws that hold the locking clips (not sure their correct name) that connect the lower and upper trunk when you close it. be sure to look at the orientation of those clips before you take them off. they definately go on one way vs the other. As you release the lid liner, you will see the harness connector inside the trunk lid. there are two possible connections depending on what you have attached. Both need to be undone, but its fairly simple.

When you thread the new harness in, most have opted to allow it to "drop" down the middle rather than routing through the hinge. that design flaw has been the bain of many a broken wire.

replace screws in trunk lid. put the backrest back on the trunk lid. put your seat back on and you are in business.

whole thing if you know what you are doing should only take about 30 minutes. If you are like me and you sit and think about everything along the way...count on about an hour or so. hardest part was figuring out how to undo the lower harness. once i got that unlocked...it was a breeze.

best $18 i spent on the bike so far!

let me know if you need more information

dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts