GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 bikes going east on 86 heading for Branson Missouri for a craft show from Olathe Kansas last friday. A lady who works here in our factory was turning left from the highway onto a dirt road. As she was waiting for the bikes to go by, some idiot slamed into the back of her causing her to hit one of the bikes thus causing 3 more to pile up. Harleys and Hondas.A gold wing 1800 was layed down and no one was hurt. A harley was hit broadside, the couple was then thrown from the bike. Im sorry to say but both riders lost there left leg. If anyone knows these people please tell them that the lady (lois) is taking this accident very hard. The driver of the pickup was the cause and not her. My Prayers go to the couple plus the other riders. Strange things happen on the road so Be Safe.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
We were taught in the military defensive driving schools to never turn your wheels to the left when waiting for a left had turn - and this is the reason why. If she had her wheels positiioned straight ahead, this would not have happened. I hate to come up on someone who is not in a turning lane trying to make a left turn with their wheels cut to their left. All it needs is a tap from the back and they will be in your lane in a heartbeat. Come to think about it, I get nervous when the person IS in a turning lane and their wheels are cut to their left.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
MesquiteBob said:
We were taught in the military defensive driving schools to never turn your wheels to the left when waiting for a left had turn - and this is the reason why. If she had her wheels positioned straight ahead, this would not have happened. I hate to come up on someone who is not in a turning lane trying to make a left turn with their wheels cut to their left. All it needs is a tap from the back and they will be in your lane in a heartbeat. Come to think about it, I get nervous when the person IS in a turning lane and their wheels are cut to their left.

Mesquite Bob
Sorry to hear about this awful accident and the lady is undoubtedly upset. Not her fault for sure, but Bob's comments are right on. My Father always told me this and I follow that guidance to this day. Better to just get rear-ended than to end up being broadsided by on-coming traffic, and in a case like this, resulting in something even worse.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What he said....

Ditto.
Learned that in my teens (oh so many decades ago).
I feel for Lois, she's just a pawn in this tragic game - but a pawn that affected the outcome.
Sending positive karma / wishes to all involved - especially those that lost lives, limbs, or confidence.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yea but if she was sitting stopped and he wasn't paying attention and then whipped it to the right to avoid her and caught her right rear it would have shot her to the left.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
This is sad. It is usually a violation to be turning left or right and not have the steering wheels faced mostly forward.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Extremely tragic for sure. A friend of mine works in the radiology department at a local hospital and was telling me about this accident and he said that they brought one of the legs in to the hospital in an ice chest. We must always remember that no matter how safe we ride things can still happen.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
larrylee731 said:
... A harley was hit broadside, the couple was then thrown from the bike. Im sorry to say but both riders lost there left leg. ....
:( There, but for the Grace of God, go you or I.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts