GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake Light Problem

Just noticed that my foot brake does not work the brake lights. The handle brake does work the brake lights.

However, the foot brake does deactivate the cruise control when pushed so the switch must be good.

Any ideas as to the first place to look? I have a CSC trike.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
there are two switches on a cluster held to the bottom of the master cylinder behind the right engine cover. One is for the cruise cancel, the other is the brakelight switch. The easiest way to fix it is to replace that switch cluster. I have had some luck soaking it using a generous helping of contact cleaner, but those switches are pretty exposed and are weather proof which also works to keep the cleaner out.

Hope you get it working...:thumbup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
there are two switches on a cluster held to the bottom of the master cylinder behind the right engine cover. One is for the cruise cancel, the other is the brakelight switch. The easiest way to fix it is to replace that switch cluster. I have had some luck soaking it using a generous helping of contact cleaner, but those switches are pretty exposed and are weather proof which also works to keep the cleaner out.

Hope you get it working...:thumbup:
:agree:Had a similiar problem, and that was the fix FYI!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake Lights do work

I appreciate the replies. Upon further checking, I find the foot brake does work the brake lights if I really push down on the pedal. Is there an adjustment that I might make? I have not yet had a chance to remove the lower body part to take a look but thought I would ask before I do it.
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I appreciate the replies. Upon further checking, I find the foot brake does work the brake lights if I really push down on the pedal. Is there an adjustment that I might make? I have not yet had a chance to remove the lower body part to take a look but thought I would ask before I do it.
Thanks,
Bob
That's just the switch going bad. It's very cheap, less than $20. I recommend just replacing it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just like the hand brake the switches on the rear brake get dirty and need to be flushed out. I use liquid silicone spray as it cleans up the switch and lubricates at the same time. WD40 will work but it doen't lube very well... Here's a picture out of my '06 service manual if that will help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts