GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D i have my new 03 yellow..do the baker air wings really work good ? i live in ca. and it is HOT riding.i need air..and do they help with buffeting for the passenger ? one more: any yellow owners that can give me input on what color looks best with the yellow bike ? thanks all. oh yeh,are they easy to install..ill be happy with any input you have and any other air control stuff that helps.. :roll:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If they didn't work REALLY well you wouldn't see them on so many bikes, because they AIN'T beautiful.

It took the Baker booth about 15 minutes to put on the full set of wind wings, from mirror to foot wings, when I had it done at Wng Ding last year

Can't help ya on the color. De gustibus non disputandem est, ya know.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The answer to both your questions, in my opinion, is yes. Keep in mind though that when it's really hot, the air you get is the same temp. It's just moving faster. The biggest advantage to the wind wings is that they deflect most of the heat off the radiators away from you. Your legs won't melt.

The dark smoke color looks great on any color Wing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with Jim. They work extremely well if you keep in mind it's still not air conditioned :D
They're even more effective when it's cool or cold out.
I have the dark smoke on my yellow and I think it looks good.
Others have the yellow tint and they like theirs as well, but I've not seen the yellow tinited ones in person.

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
One thing that was not mentioned. When it is real hot, you don't want the radiator air flowing in on you. With the Bakers you can keep that Hot air mostly off of you.

No they are not pretty, but neither would a fairing built the size to block all air.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have light smoke color wings. I agree with everyone else, that is they work great. Got them at the Hoot last year. Made a world of difference on the way back home. Motorcycle Consumer News compared these a while ago and Baker Airwings came out number one. Especially effective are the ones beneath the mirrors for both hot and cold wind control. Good luck! Bob

[/img]

·
Registered
837 Posts
Bulldog said:
One thing that was not mentioned. When it is real hot, you don't want the radiator air flowing in on you. With the Bakers you can keep that Hot air mostly off of you.

Bulldog
Well Bulldog, now I know you didn't read my entire reply. :cry: or you just didn't pay any attention to it.

:D :D Caught ya reading without your glasses did I? :lol:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jimbo,

Meaculpa, I must of rushed through. well now it has been said twice on the internet, so that verifies it's worthiness...LOL

Thanks Jim

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Lazyboy said:
If they didn't work REALLY well you wouldn't see them on so many bikes, because they AIN'T beautiful.
Couldn't say it better myself!

I thought I would never put these on my bike! But, after riding in the heat a few times, I needed something to get some more air movement. I have a JR mesh jacket, but when there is no air flow through it, it doesn't do much good!

They are fairly easy to install, but my major problem with them is they stress the fairing mounting tabs. Mine broke :mad1: I suspected it was the wrench at my shop that did it, over tighteneing the screws, but they swear it wasn't, and he said he even called the service manager over when he took the bike apart and found it; the service manager corroberated his story. They made me a good deal on the repair, and there wasn't much I could do, since I couldn't prove they did it, and wasn't 100% positive. It is feasable that someone could bump against them and cause a break... so I just had it fixed.

But they do work... as ugly as they are...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Baker air wings input needed

I have a yellow 02 and have the baker air wings on it and I looked at several other yellow wings and got the chance to see the light and dark smoked and the yellow and clear wings. I got the clear ones because I think they looked the best. I was able to see all of them in the same place at Goldrush in Indianapolis this last summer. I don't think they look ugly at all and they work great.

Don

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Well, to add my unsolicited two-cents worth, I have a yellow '01 with the light smoke Baker Air Wings. I, too, thought I would never have these, but after riding with a lot of folks who do and hearing their testimonials, decided to go for it last Spring. Glad I did. They worked real well on my recent trip to Florida and back. They kept most of the really cold air off of me except for right around my shoulders. Hand wings worked great, and with my new heated gloves, everything was real cozy with temps on the return trip averaging 39 degrees F. Bite the bullet and go for the whole enchilada.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have the hand wings and I think they are worth their weight in gold.....but the rest of the air wing setup, I'm not so crazy about. I had the air wings and they brought in some air but they also brought in the bugs. I have been thinking about the models from Show Chrome.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have the air wings. Want to add the hand (mirror) wings, and foot wings.
As for just the air wings, I'll give them a 4 for looks.
A 3 for preventing buffeting.
A 10 for getting cool air on you while riding.
A 7 for blowing warm radiator air on you when it's cold, and
A 9 for keeping warm radiator air off of you when it's hot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts