GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Baker Air Wings with Lowers last night on my 2012. It was a pretty simple install - the instructions were clear cut. They work great and already seem worth the price. The only thing is, my knee hits them whenever I put my foot down if they're open. I'm 6'3" and my knees come within an inch of the fairing when I ride. Anyone have the same problem? Any solutions? I don't want to have to adjust them every time I stop the bike, and would hate to have to take them off...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Other than replacing the seat to put you further back, IMO, give it a while to see if your body will adjust. There may be some muscle memory that will keep that from happening. Give it a try; the price is right!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have the full set on my '09 & don't have that problem....... I'm 6' 2" & have plenty of clearance.

My only issue w/Baker's is the chrome cap fasteners come off too easily..... I've hot-glued them on to prevent losing any more. I advised Baker's of that right off the bat & they would be glad to SELL me some more - but wouldn't send any replacements to me, gratis. That's kinda cheeeeeep !

adios - Dave / Missourahhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the full set on my '09 & don't have that problem....... I'm 6' 2" & have plenty of clearance.

My only issue w/Baker's is the chrome cap fasteners come off too easily..... I've hot-glued them on to prevent losing any more. I advised Baker's of that right off the bat & they would be glad to SELL me some more - but wouldn't send any replacements to me, gratis. That's kinda cheeeeeep !

What are you going to do when you have to remove the shelter? Aren't you going to have to pry the caps off and possibly break things doing it?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Installed the Baker Air Wings with Lowers last night on my 2012. It was a pretty simple install - the instructions were clear cut. They work great and already seem worth the price. The only thing is, my knee hits them whenever I put my foot down if they're open. I'm 6'3" and my knees come within an inch of the fairing when I ride. Anyone have the same problem? Any solutions? I don't want to have to adjust them every time I stop the bike, and would hate to have to take them off...
I bought a Ultimate King seat that moves me back an inch and a half and that makes hitting the wings a non issue.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My left knee hits everytime I get on with the bike on center stand, it also breaks the airwing everytime I forget to watch what I'm doing too. $$$$$

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm assuming (dangerous!) that it's the lower wing that you are coming into contact with. I removed the wing and carefully trimmed about an inch off the side closest to my knees. The wing still does it's job, and you'd be surprised how much difference that inch makes!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts

Might try new cap retainers under the screws and don't tighten the screws to the point it distorts them making the chome caps fall off easily.

·
Registered
681 Posts
called Ultimate seats last week, they will not have a seat for the 2012 until maybe Dec. Seems a long time?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts