GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new set of Baker Wings for my 1800. Looking at them, I'm not sure they'll do what I want. I'm thinking of looking into Big Bike Parts lowers before installing the Bakers. Who's using either of these, & what are the pros & cons?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I also have and like the Bakers. I like having the split wing making it easy to direct just the right amount of airflow exactly where you want/need it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I like the split design of the Bakers... but am not fond of the mounting system. I don't like the pressure it puts on the fairing mounting tabs.

Mine on the left side broke, after a trip to the shop. Wrench said it was that way when he took the bike apart. Of course he didn't immediately show the damage to the service manager, which is what **I** would have done had I noticed that kind of damage on a $17k bike!!

But, no way I could prove it wasn't done before it went it, either by me overtightening the screws, or by someone bumping in to the wings in a parking lot somewhere.

I have heard the Tulsa mounting system is more sturdy and doesn't put undue stress on any parts, but the design is less functional and adaptable than the Bakers.

I thought I would never put the wings in my bike... because it does take away from the sporty look of the bike. But the ability to reach out and grab some more air when it is hot outweighed the style factor... :lol:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
wings

I have baker mirror wings, foot wings, leg wings, had the air wings on side of the fairing but did not like the looks of that setup. I removed them. I'm running without air wings on the fairing and like the look much better. JD

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have Bakers on both my '02 Wing and the Valkyrie and I love them both. The only thing I don't like is the lowers on the Bakers for the Wing. I took the lowers off because they made my cruiser boards unusable. I am tall and they interfered a bit. I still love them overall though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Bakers also. You will find that the mirror wings are the most importent part of this system in controlling air to the co-rider. The Leg wings really help keep the cold air off your legs during the winter time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Bakers also. You will find that the mirror wings are the most importent part of this system in controlling air to the co-rider. The Leg wings really help keep the cold air off your legs during the winter time.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
One guy said his got broke, and it kind of messes up the looks of the bike, there is a simple solution for both those items, Baker offers them in "Light smoke in break resistant polycarbonate", that's what I have, they are made of polycarbonate which is a lot more rugged than the other colors which are acrylic, and the light smoke color dissappears from a distance. Check the photo below, you can hardly see them.

Looking at the photo you might think it doesn't have the Baker Wings, look on the far side of the bike, under the right handlebar, you can see that side against the grass, the one on the left side is almost invisible.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Big Bike

I have had the Big Bike uppers and lowers for a couple of years and have been happy with them. I like the swivel window in the uppers, it gives you a little air on the hands on warm days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts