GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baker Built Hand Wings Installed

I had a fun walk back from the mail box; where I found a box full of Baker Built Hand Wings for the GL1800.

The installation took all of ten minuets per side and the kit is made with high quality components. The Fit & Finish are excellent and best of all, they work as advertised.

The goal here was to control the wind coming from under the mirrors.

This air is cold on the hands in cold weather and creates a lot of turbulence and wind noise around the helmet. This turbulence is also experienced by the passenger.

I enjoyed the arctic blast of 24 degrees f. on the hands the 17th when I rode the GL1800 away from the Dealership in Chattanooga TN.

In hot weather the wings can add a little extra air on those pizza-oven days.

I ordered them in Red to match the motorcycle.

This is a very inexpensive and well engineered wind management system that works.

LATER

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
:agree: :thumbup: :smile: ! One of the best addition on my bike :yes1: !

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1

I can really notice how much warmer my hands are on cold days!

Al

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have a set and they also protect the co-rider. The main problem I have with them is that they don't stay in any position other than full closed without moving when any gust of wind or even high speeds are present. They do work great in the winter, but I'm not impressed with their performance in hot weather.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I installed the full set, Mirror wings, upper and lower wings. I leave the mirror wings closed all the time, even in the summer. I open and close the upper and lower wings for air flow. These are twice as large as the mirror wings and stay put where you set them. Lower wings let in heat from the radiator so I only open these a little in the cool season and keep them closed in the summer, using just the upper for air in the summer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
One of the first things I installed. My wife really noticed a difference in buffeting. If she's happy I'm happy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of the best additions on my wing and wouldn't be without them. The wife said it made a difference for her also. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
it's a lot to pay for 2 pieces of plastic and a couple of brackets, but ... like others have said ... first thing I added to the OrangeCrush, and likely the second best (best until I installed the Utopia backrest ;) )

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Just be careful not to hook one on someone's car mirror while lanesharing. Thankfully, they pop right off without damaging your mirror, thanks to the plastic mounting screws, but your hand will get awful cold afterward...

I also have the leg and foot wings, and those work just as well.

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Yep , I use the smoke ones

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I first got my wing the PO had installed these. I thought they came on wings from the factory. Had no idea what a blessing they are until I rode a friends bike without them. He has them now too, after riding mine!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used to set of the Tulsa hand wings. then tried the Baker hand wings.
Found the Baker hand wings offered much more protection from the wind
than the Tulsa wings. Even though I think the Tulsa wings look better.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
daveo, I had the same problem with them staying in place until I realized I didn't tighten them enough. When I cranked down on the bolt more they're fine. Try to tighten them even if they already seem tight.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I installed the full set, Mirror wings, upper and lower wings. I leave the mirror wings closed all the time, even in the summer. I open and close the upper and lower wings for air flow. These are twice as large as the mirror wings and stay put where you set them. Lower wings let in heat from the radiator so I only open these a little in the cool season and keep them closed in the summer, using just the upper for air in the summer.
+1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have a set and they also protect the co-rider. The main problem I have with them is that they don't stay in any position other than full closed without moving when any gust of wind or even high speeds are present. They do work great in the winter, but I'm not impressed with their performance in hot weather.
I experienced the same thing with my mirror wings, then someone suggested that I apply some blue loctite to the threads of the post that screws into the mirror assembly. The problem was that the whole thing kept rotating loose, and I'd have to take a 7/16 wrench to it to keep it tight. The loctite solved the problem. Give that a try and see if it works better for you in the warm weather.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
daveo, I had the same problem with them staying in place until I realized I didn't tighten them enough. When I cranked down on the bolt more they're fine. Try to tighten them even if they already seem tight.
:agree::agree::agree:

Don't be afraid to tighten. Shoot what's the worst that could happen. :eek:4::eek:4:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got my mirror and side wings in plastic hanging out in the garage. They don't look bad on the bike but I'm not seeing where there useful. Was kind of thinking they might throw some heat my way in colder times but don't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
RSteve, I don't have the lowers so I can't comment on them. However, the mirror wings are desgined to reduce amont of cold air that hits your hands when it's cold out. When open, they direct additional air flow toward to you when warm.

They also reduced a lot of buffeting on Gwyn, although she still likes to go to buffets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts