GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a ride from the San Jose, CA area to Baker City, Or in the next week or two. Can somebody familiar w/Baker City tell me if a loop ride is possible from Baker City thru Joseph and back to Baker City via Highway 39? Also, any additional advice for great rides in the area would be welcome. I know there is a rally there in the spring - anybody have a tour book from last year that they would be willing to part with?

Anyone want to ride along?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Smitty said:
I'm planning a ride from the San Jose, CA area to Baker City, Or in the next week or two. Can somebody familiar w/Baker City tell me if a loop ride is possible from Baker City thru Joseph and back to Baker City via Highway 39?
Yes, FS 39 is fully paved and a great ride. All of the roads west of Baker and north of Highway 26 are made for a motorcycle. The best is Grant County Road 20 that follows the John Day Middle Fork River and runs between Austin Junction and Ritter, some maps show it as gravel but it has been fully paved for 5 years. Another great road is Sumpter to Ukiah.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Well, the roads between Baker City and John Day, Hwy 7 and Hwy 26, are great fun and some of my favorites. You just need to be careful that you don't run too heavy a throttle that you run into a problem with a potential LEO. It's a tough task as the 1800 just wants to get up and go on those roads and it does them so easily. Yah Hoooooo!!!!

DaleC

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - just the info I was looking for! Anybody else?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just completed the trip from Oxbow (on the snake river) to Joseph last weekend. The trip is great!. Let me know when you will be there, I should be able to do a weekend day trip.

Bill Stobaugh

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bill,

I had planned to leave here in Sunnyvale on Monday a.m. and arrive in Baker City Tuesday evening. Not sure I'll still be in the area by the weekend. I could delay starting til Tueday and/or seeing more country ( Sumter to Ukiah and then on up to the Columbia River on 53 and 74 looks interesting).

My # is 408.736.1198 and my e-mail is [email protected] - give me a shout and maybe we can work something out.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Smitty,

I would love to ride that area, but I've used up my vacation days (riding, of course). If you wil still be in Baker City on the weekend, give me a call. (208) 327-0512.

Bill

·
Registered
852 Posts
Are you planning on heading up hwy 97 before you head east toward Baker. You could hit some of the roads on the Cascade lakes highway near bend and also hit Crater Lake south of Bend.

Highway 26 from Bend to John Day is a great road with not much traffic. Then head northeast to Baker through Sumpter. Awesome road. Try to get to Joseph and Wallowa Lake and Hells Canyon. Lots of good roads and not much traffic. Watch for animals though and use a lot of caution around dusk.

If you make it through Bend PM me.

DJ

·
Registered
446 Posts
Smitty, . . . . . when you go to Joseph . . . . . .

make sure you have a few minutes to ride down to the south end of Wallowa Lake, . . . then enter the Wallowa State Park. It is one of the best state parks anywhere.

AND, . . . When you get back to the north end of the lake, please stop and look down the lake, . . . at the glass water, . . . and then the mountains that surround it. This spot has been called the "Swiss Alps" of America. It is truly gorgeous!! :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was surprised at rt 129 when I was out there a couple weeks ago. Seemed every bit as twistee as the eastern 129! Runs along the river...

AG GL

Bill Stobaugh- are you the one that I (and my silver) met at the Boise Wal Mart parking lot? If so, thanks for the tips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts