GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Hand Wings on my 08 and have had trouble with them closing or opening all the way at high speeds. I tightened the screws but I'm concerned. Does someone have a picture of the stops I've read about on the forum? I am thinking about calling Baker on the problem but thought I'd ask about them here first.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I don't have the picture you requested, but will say that mine also kept getting loose until I just cranked on them to get tight. Stiff, but can still open/close while riding and I carry a small wrench in the left pocket...just in case.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Call Baker they will send you the stops

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The stops Baker sends you are spring steel. Maybe some thin shim stock would allow you to move them to the best position without damaging paint :shrug:but I won't try that trick. It is very cheap to use the rubber stoppers that increase in 1/8" increments.
If you try to move them left or right you will most likely scratch paint off the mirror shell. This is the mod I did and will hold the wings open or closed at any triple digit speed. My final stopper size is 1-7/8". The 3/8"x3/8" aluminum sleeve was replaced with a 3/8" nylon sleeve from Home Depot's hardware section. I just trimmed it to 3/8" long and all works great :thumbup:.
Click in each photo to enlarge.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1441

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Call Baker they will send you the stops
Agreed!

Call Baker (800-451-9464) and ask them to send you two of the stops. They work, and they press into place on the lower lip of the mirror housing in about 2 seconds flat.

No need to make something of your own. Baker will send you two of them free most likely.

Get the standard ones unless you have an extra chrome cover on your mirror or anything else that increases the thickness of the bottom lip of the mirror housing. If you do then you will need the "thicker" ones, meaning the gap between the two sides of the clip is bigger. Baker has both.

I you have older hand wings you may want to get their Hand Wing Update Kit ($29.00). The kit is designed to solve the friction problem and contains new mounting hardware with updated friction fittings plus the stops that we are talking about. I've attached a picture of the kit contents.

I have the newer hand wings with these parts and have no troulbe with getting the friction set right and using the wings.

The stops we are talking about are the two clips second from the left in the picture.

Attachments

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
See if this helps. The only caution I would give you is that they will leave small "bite" marks in the paint, so be careful how you install them, and try to get them in the right position the first time.

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I bought a pair at Americade at the Baker booth for $5. Work great! They are not free as someone mentioned but worth every penny!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I bought a pair at Americade at the Baker booth for $5. Work great! They are not free as someone mentioned but worth every penny!
:agree:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Baker's upgrade to the Hand Wings works really well. Much better than the original friction design.

The stops are nice also to keep the wings from going full open or to place the hand wings in a position to give the rider more air but still reduce/elliminate all the buffeting on the passenger. The stops are to be set and left at the "wide open" position and are not to be constantly moved around.

I have a set of Hand Wings on my 08 and have had trouble with them closing or opening all the way at high speeds. I tightened the screws but I'm concerned. Does someone have a picture of the stops I've read about on the forum? I am thinking about calling Baker on the problem but thought I'd ask about them here first.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys! That helps me a lot as I was confused about how they would work. Gaterwing- thats a great way to make the stops! I may see about making my own.
Thanks again!:bow:
Bill

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Yours is the right idea, IMO. Call Baker and describe the symptoms. The company will guide you much better than we can.

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sounds like the clips from Baker may be the way to go.

But I had some self-adhesive, square (~1/2") rubber feet that I stuck on underneath the mirror years ago. I think they were from Radio Shack. No, once stuck on, they are NOT adjustable but that has not been a problem for me. The wings stay in place and I get a good flow of air.

I'm sort of surprised, however, they've never come off. Adjustable would be nice, I suppose.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Thanks Guys! That helps me a lot as I was confused about how they would work. Gaterwing- thats a great way to make the stops! I may see about making my own.
Thanks again!:bow:
Bill
Those were not made as stops :evil:. I received the new style stops with my Baker Mirror wings. The problem is they include a template where to install them for wide open :joke:.
I installed them per the template. I also have a windshield vent on my 09. I was disappointed when I found I could get air like a tornado in a different position :yes1:. Anyone who installed the clips per the template knows they are spring steel clips and can't easily be moved to a higher flow position without major damage to the mirror shell that lists for $152 and change from HDL.
One way to move them would be to cut 2 strips of metal from an aluminum can and insert them between the clips and the painted shell so sliding would not do major damage to the shells paint. You would have to lift the clips to get the metal strips in perhaps using perhaps bamboo skewers to avoid paint damage. I thought of using brass shim stock to protect the paint while sliding the stoppers to a better position.
Then I got the idea not to move the stops at all. Just purchase the rubber stoppers made for engine work and since the diameters step in increments of 1/8" and are cheap. I could easily find where I could get the most air flow.
The last photo in my previous post shows a bottom view where the air comes in like a tornado.
If I had it to do it all over again, I would throw the Baker template in the garbage can and position them where I show them in the photo.
Thats my story and I am sticking to it :shrug:.
I think Baker should have done some more airflow testing prior to sending out that worthless template :nojoke::22yikes:.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I used some of those stick on bumpers for a few years also. They worked good until the temps got into the 90's and then the adhesive would soften and the bumpers would slide. :?

I was using them as a stop for the "wide open" position so the wings would eventually push them over and they would come off. In cooler temps, they worked well for me though.

Sounds like the clips from Baker may be the way to go.

But I had some self-adhesive, square (~1/2") rubber feet that I stuck on underneath the mirror years ago. I think they were from Radio Shack. No, once stuck on, they are NOT adjustable but that has not been a problem for me. The wings stay in place and I get a good flow of air.

I'm sort of surprised, however, they've never come off. Adjustable would be nice, I suppose.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Perhaps Baker changed their installation instructions and template. My template and the accompanying instructions said that the location identified by the template would place the stop in a position that would provide air flow to the rider but little additional air to the passenger. I found this to be accurate.

The instructions indicated that the wide open position allows max additional air flow to the passenger. But in that position, with the new mounts, the stop isn't needed since the Wings stay put. In that position both rider and passenger receive significant increase in wind (and turbulance at speeds over 65mph).

In order to place the wings in position to allow air flow to the rider but reduce the associated turbulance to the passenger, the stop must be used since the Wings are splayed out so far. This works well in extreme heat at high speeds. I'm able to get some additional air without subjecting my passenger to the turbulance or leaving the Wings wide open.

Perhaps Baker also changed the stops as the clip on mine were well painted and had a very smooth feel. I was able remove and reinstall the clips with no noticable scratches.

Those were not made as stops :evil:. I received the new style stops with my Baker Mirror wings. The problem is they include a template where to install them for wide open :joke:.
I installed them per the template. I also have a windshield vent on my 09. I was disappointed when I found I could get air like a tornado in a different position :yes1:. Anyone who installed the clips per the template knows they are spring steel clips and can't easily be moved to a higher flow position without major damage to the mirror shell that lists for $152 and change from HDL....

·
Registered
19,060 Posts

As Fred said above--select your spot carefully because it will leave a mark in the paint

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Perhaps Baker changed their installation instructions and template. My template and the accompanying instructions said that the location identified by the template would place the stop in a position that would provide air flow to the rider but little additional air to the passenger. I found this to be accurate.

The instructions indicated that the wide open position allows max additional air flow to the passenger. But in that position, with the new mounts, the stop isn't needed since the Wings stay put. In that position both rider and passenger receive significant increase in wind (and turbulance at speeds over 65mph).

In order to place the wings in position to allow air flow to the rider but reduce the associated turbulance to the passenger, the stop must be used since the Wings are splayed out so far. This works well in extreme heat at high speeds. I'm able to get some additional air without subjecting my passenger to the turbulance or leaving the Wings wide open.

Perhaps Baker also changed the stops as the clip on mine were well painted and had a very smooth feel. I was able remove and reinstall the clips with no noticable scratches.
Hi Rob...I was referring to the paint on the mirror shell so perhaps you thought I was writing about the paint on the clips :shrug:. The paint on the clips are no biggie to me.
I don't really need lots of cool air from the mirror wings on myself the driver. It is my navigator that I have to share the air flow from the Wings with.
It was 97 degrees yesterday and I rode 350 miles round trip for lunch :eat2:.
If my navigator sweats too much or there is a possibility that make-up and stuff can get out of place :shock: (doesn't care about turbulence in this heat), that will be big problems for me. I then need to turn off the intercom and pretend (OK lie) that it has malfunctioned but even worse I have to pay for my own lunch :22yikes:.
When I get home I hear about how terrible it is to ride the bike in this heat :confused:.
Now you know the rest of the story why I position the Wings the way I have them :lol:.
Other penalties like helping with chores around the house rather than always playing with that :cus: motorcycle could be added :nojoke:.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The paint on the clips appears to provide a smooth enough finish that it protects the paint on the mirror housing when installing/removing the clips. I noticed zero visible damage to the paint on the mirror from repositioning the clips. But perhaps my set are different than yours.

Pretty funny about the extra navigator air. :lol: Yes, when it is real hot outside, my wife is more interested in the air flow than the turbulence.

I'm not good at holding back the truth from my wife's interogations though, so I don't dare turn off the IC. :eek:4:

Hi Rob...I was referring to the paint on the mirror shell so perhaps you thought I was writing about the paint on the clips :shrug:. The paint on the clips are no biggie to me.
I don't really need lots of cool air from the mirror wings on myself the driver. It is my navigator that I have to share the air flow from the Wings with.
It was 97 degrees yesterday and I rode 350 miles round trip for lunch :eat2:.
If my navigator sweats too much or there is a possibility that make-up and stuff can get out of place :shock: (doesn't care about turbulence in this heat), that will be big problems for me. I then need to turn off the intercom and pretend (OK lie) that it has malfunctioned but even worse I have to pay for my own lunch :22yikes:.
When I get home I hear about how terrible it is to ride the bike in this heat :confused:.
Now you know the rest of the story why I position the Wings the way I have them :lol:.
Other penalties like helping with chores around the house rather than always playing with that :cus: motorcycle could be added :nojoke:.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts