GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Baker hand wings which were on the bike when I purchased it. I really like the air they bring in but the left one is constantly turning around to where the concave part is facing forward at almost a 90* angle to the direction of travel anytime I pass a truck or have a gust of wind. After a few times of this I get aggravated & just close it which defeats the purpose of having it in the first place. Looking at Bakers site they have just the stops for 5.50 & an update kit that includes the stops for 29.00. Question is, do I really need the update kit or would just the stops work to keep this from happening? If anyone has had both the new & old style bolts, what is the difference between them & could the new style washers, etc be purchased at a hardware store? I have tightened them up to the point I am uncomfortable tightening them more & they still do this so some sort of stop is in order so is it worthwhile to get the kit or just go with the stops?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
889 Posts
Steve,

I also ordered just the stops and that's all you need if everything else is intact. One suggestion ... before you use the included template to determine the location of the stops, experiment a bit first and decide where you really want the wings to stop. I installed mine just a bit outboard of the location the template would have done. I carry a passenger almost all the time, so my stop location allows the air to flow a bit more to the rear than the template location would have done. You can't actually put the stop in place and then move it without potentially scratching the paint, but you can decide for certain where you want it first before installation. I like having the stops in place. I actually use and benefit from the adjustment of the hand wings moreso than the large ones down on the fairing. Those I normally leave pretty much open or closed, with the bottom smaller one usually in the closed position until the weather cools off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with playing with the stops first. I installed them where the template suggested and plan to move them outboard a little more this weekend...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks for posting about this problem,, I never knew there was a fix. I just ordered a set....
the only shame of it was,, the shipping was just as much as the part....
But if it works,, I guess it will be worth it...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info on trying it before using the template. Is the template set up more for one or two up riding? I usually ride alone, if & when the wife gets into riding I would move them if needed.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Mine are still stock with the exceptions that I Lok-tited the stud into the mirror housing, and used a different nyloc nut with stiffer nylon that doesn't back off. I maybe adjust the nut once a year, and will only have the big blasts move it maybe once a year. I feel that nuts that come with it have just a bit too soft nylon in them. The hand wings get more adjustment than the others for me, as I leave the others closed unless I am 2-up on back roads. The hand wings usually give me all the air I need while the others knock down helmet noise some. Adjusting the hand wings knocks down the helmet noise even more when it gets cool enough to tolerate.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think the template position is set up more for one up than two up. However, I still recommend you experiment a bit to find the exact spot where you'd like the wings to land. Some like more air, some less ... I don't like the wind blowing directly in my face because it affects my eyes badly. It won't take you long to figure out where you like the wings best, and then you can install the stops to allow them to sit in that position without moving any except toward the closed position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts