GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read on here where lots of folks talk about the heat from the radiators being so extreme, and have never been bothered by it until last Saturday when the wife & I were riding in this current Oklahoma heatwave. I've had a set of the hand wings for a couple of years, but have always kept them 'closed', just haven't been bothered by the heat too much. Before our ride, I opened them for more air circulation on us, big mistake, as it seemed to us the airflow they created drew a LOT of heat from the radiators up into the cockpit area and made for a much hotter ride. I ride most of the time with feet on the hiway pegs but this time my legs were HOT, it definitely made a bad difference for both of us. It was 102 that day, have since closed them back up, rode today at 112, and though it was hot, the radiator heat didn't bother me nearly as much. Am I crazy, anyone else agree with this? Oh, My wife was the one that said "Put them things back like they were"!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I've never had any problems with mine. I ride with them open when it's hot and never noticed any heat from the radiators. Maybe I'm one of those with no sense and no feeling. I've ridden short distances the last couple of weeks in 100 plus hottest 110 and no problems. Rode 2 800 mile trips a week ago with temps near 100 and never closed them.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
If you open both of them, the bottom wing will send radiator air back at you. If you just open the top one then it doesn't catch the hot radiator nearly as bad.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I experienced the same thing recently, but finally decided it was not radiator heat, just hot ambient air blowing on me. Closed them, and the windshield vent, and was more comfortable at highway speeds.

Hope this heat wave breaks soon.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you open both of them, the bottom wing will send radiator air back at you. If you just open the top one then it doesn't catch the hot radiator nearly as bad.
I think the OP indicated "hand wings", the single units under the mirrors.

·
Registered
814 Posts
  1. I open mine in the heat - dont notice any more engine heat when doing so, but with them closed I dont get as much wind on my body so when its upper 90s here in GA I open all my wings except the lower ones that are mounted on the fairing.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
When the air temp approaches, 100F, having signficant airflow can actually make you hotter than having less air. It can just overwhelm your body's ability to produce moisture on the skin. It's like sitting in front of a blow torch. Never noticed increased engine heat whether open or closed though.

I certainly leave mine closed when the temps are in the 100F or higher neighborhood.

I've read on here where lots of folks talk about the heat from the radiators being so extreme, and have never been bothered by it until last Saturday when the wife & I were riding in this current Oklahoma heatwave. I've had a set of the hand wings for a couple of years, but have always kept them 'closed', just haven't been bothered by the heat too much. Before our ride, I opened them for more air circulation on us, big mistake, as it seemed to us the airflow they created drew a LOT of heat from the radiators up into the cockpit area and made for a much hotter ride. I ride most of the time with feet on the hiway pegs but this time my legs were HOT, it definitely made a bad difference for both of us. It was 102 that day, have since closed them back up, rode today at 112, and though it was hot, the radiator heat didn't bother me nearly as much. Am I crazy, anyone else agree with this? Oh, My wife was the one that said "Put them things back like they were"!

·
Registered
352 Posts
IMO Baker hand wings and Mic-0-pegs is worth every penny I spent on them for riding in hot weather. The wings directs more air on me and the pegs keep my legs in the air steam away from the engine heat. While riding through the Texas panhandle and Oklahoma last month in 108 degree heat it would have been just about unbearable with out them. Riding in that kind of heat is just plain out hot short of having a a/c or swamp fan mounted on the bike. I don't think the hand wings directs any radiator hot air to the rider it's just that the dry heat is so hot blowing directly onto you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In Jammer's post I noticed in his Wing photo he has shark fins. Do the fins do anyting to push the heat outward rather than back?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Kudo's for being motivated to ride in 112 temps!!! :bow:
I tend to want to hang out in the basement the hotter it gets!

·
Registered
135 Posts
baker wings

Had the opportunity to experience the wonderful 111 degree heat riding thru Oklahoma. Never experienced this kind of heat before...not even in the Badlands of SD. Wings closed, windshield vent closed. Helmet visor closed. Anything to keep the heated air from blowing on you. If I was going to do this regularly I believe I'd go the Bubba route with LD Comfort toggs and textile gear. Ran a good part of RT66 between Arcadia and Oklahoma City. Heat really knocked the snot out of the wife and I. Will say that the Pop Shop burgers are pretty darn good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts