GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Candy Black Cherry, What color of wings would look best?
I am leaning toward the dark smoke. I have not had much look with finding pics to look at.
Thanks in advance.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Dark or light smoke is what I would choose as well. Sorry I don't have pics of mine now. I have the light smoke on my Dark Gray wing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
wover98, here's an 06 in dark red with smoked air wings, maybe you'll like this color.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
backwoods said:
I have the light smoke color on the CBC. It's very unobtrusive, which I like.
Is there any chance you could post some picks of them on the bike?
I do not want to make a mistake. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Dark Smoke here! Obviously a matter of personal preference!

BAT

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
A smoke color (light or dark) is better than a color that is close but no cigar. I tried the blue with my IB and wasn't happy with the look. Smoke is the way to go.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have an '05 Candy Black Cherry. Just put the Light Smoke on mine and think they look great! Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will go with the light smoke.
Thanks one and all.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Be careful which ever color you choose. I have a love/hate relationship with my Baker mirror wings. IMHO the way they mount is terrible. They are very, very hard to get tight enough to stay in place, yet still let you adjust them to let air in or close for cool nights etc. Just when you think you have them, a semi comes by or you increase your speed to pass and about that time WHAM they blow open to the outside and will sweep your bike clear across the highway. Bad deal and I have never felt at easy with them. That is where the love part comes in because they are so good on a hot day it would be hard to not have them. I am going to place a rubber stop with some sort of stick on foot to prevent them from opening up to the outside of the bike. They don't need to go to left of 12 o clock to work anyway.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The light smoke and dark smoke are actually made of different materials. The dark smoke are acrylic plexiglass and the light smoke are polycarbonate. The poly carbonate is a more break resistant material.

The mounting brackets are also available in black instead of chrome. I much prefer the balck hardware on the air wings. Had the chrome on my first set and lights from cars behind me reflected off the brackets into my eyes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
White Shark,

Ok I've had a few people ask about the air wings on my 06 pictured above. They are not Baker Air Wings. I got them installed at Wings over the Smokies back in Sep by Mr. Orville Sage. He has Custom Touring Windshields (863)665-6719. No website etc. He deals at bike ralleys and over the phone.

I liked his air wings better than the Baker ones for 2 reasons. 1.) they are twice as thick as the Baker wings. 2.) they are very securely mounted to the bike. As Doug44 said, the Bakers can fall off.

Here's a photo of the mounting............

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mirror Wings

Think the dark would accent the bike better......It would match up better with the black plastic pieces on the bike.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
eethomas said:
Here is a '05 CBC with the dark smoke wings
Eric,
What kind of trailer is that?

thanks,
Dennis

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
wingwing said:
eethomas said:
Eric,

thanks,
Dennis
I'm not Eric but according to his signature it is the Escapade Elite.

·
Registered
704 Posts
ronbien said:
wingwing said:
eethomas said:
Eric,

thanks,
Dennis
I'm not Eric but according to his signature it is the Escapade Elite.
Yep, as the signature says, it is a '06 Escapade Elite

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Yep, as the signature says, it is a '06 Escapade Elite
Ron / Eric,
thank you both
... sorry, next time, I'll read the fine print.
:oops:

I was distracted by the fine looking wing and trailer.

Dennis

1 - 20 of 21 Posts