GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago, I posted the web site for a good and reasonable place to purchase the wings. I took if off my invoice and posted Cyclegiant, which is their Harley and curiser side. For some bizarre reason, they don't direct you to their other site??

At any rate, it is

www.wingstuff.com

Sorry

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
WhiskeryGoofy

I am struggling with the idea of purchasing these things as for obvious reasons, it is a little tough for me to "test" the value given that I am not able to just jump on another bike and test ride. I really want to help my SO in the back with draft and buffeting, so, with all that said, do you really like them? Does your SO feel the difference?

Thanks for your input.

Wheels

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Wheels,

I put them on just after they were introduced, and the SO was very well pleased with the effect. I also just after that added the complete Baker wing set including the hand/mirror wing. All of which added to the length of the smile the SO had. I think the Hand/Mirror wings did the most as far as head and shoulder buffeting for the SO, along with the trike wings. The Trike Wings, knock the wind off the rear finders some what which prevents it from climbing the finder, and right into the passengers face area, a good thing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
HI -

We have the hand wings and the trike wings on our GL1800/Hannigan trike. I am the passenger. They DO make a big difference for sure! In the summer, we "open" the hand wings to direct more wind at us and in the winter we put them in the "closed" position -- big difference on the amount of wind hitting both the driver and the passenger. The trike wings keep our legs warmer in the winter and they help with the buffeting effect on me.

We didn't care for the look of the complete set of Baker Air Wings (but our 2-wheeled friends swear by them). We opted for the hand wings and trike wings and are very pleased with both. They are definitely worth the money!

Jo Anne

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheels said:
WhiskeryGoofy

I am struggling with the idea of purchasing these things as for obvious reasons, it is a little tough for me to "test" the value given that I am not able to just jump on another bike and test ride. I really want to help my SO in the back with draft and buffeting, so, with all that said, do you really like them? Does your SO feel the difference?

Thanks for your input.

Wheels
Wheels, I put mine on the day I got it back from being converted b/4 the wife had ridden on back. Based on others posts here, I went ahead and got them b/4 the kit was done. She has expressed no problem with buffeting vs 2 wheels. I have the upper Bakers and the hand Bakers also. Had them on when I was riding 2 wheels.

They do make your feet a little warmer in the summer (that is an assumption since I never rode w/o them), but that could also be heat from my floorboards trapping it.

At any rate, for $48 I would say give it a whirl, if don't like you can probably sell them quick on here for $40.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Thanks Guys. Think I will set about getting some.

B

·
0 Posts
I bought the "Trike Wings" directly from Baker. We also have Tulsa mirror wings. We rode the trike for a while without the wings so my wife experienced it both ways. She says the wings do help.

The mounting seems to be flimzy (seems like they should be tighter) but they are holding up well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I saw the trike wings at WD 28 while I was having my Tulsa X-tall windshield installed. As a 2-wheeler I installed the Tulsa mirror wings to knock down the air on my wife. After I rode my Champion converted GL 1800 home from the dealer (150 miles of mainly freeway riiding), I was shocked at all the "dirt" that was on the leading surface of both fenders. (I'm glad I had the film put on). I did not buy the accent panels because my wife didn't care for their looks. Frankly, they seemed a little pricey. I opted for the E-Z steer instead. After much thought I purchased the Baker Built Trike Wings (they're the only game in town) & Foot Wings. I am hoping I can achieve the same effect with this combo as the floorboards at a fraction of the cost. I got mine from HDL because of the lower $$$ limit for free shipping compared to wingstuff. I also purchased the dash fillers and a Ultrguard trike cover for when I store the trike over the winter.
Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wheels would like to know your bike conversion
Have a frend who crash his bike and broke his back
Your picture of the bike looks good, would like to know what you did to get it that way

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Bill, it would be my pleasure to share. Apologies to the members for stealing this thread.

I have a '01' with a Motor Trike kit on the back. Happen to really like it, but also have ridden an Ultra that has a Champion kit on it. Both bikes have some fun aspects, but in the end, I really feel confident about the wing. The chair rack that you see on my bike is a one of a kind and would cost a bunch to duplicate. I have included a few web sites that should help your friend out with getting a feel for what is out there to accommodate his needs. In the end, I strongly encourage them to gat back on. I am a late bloomer with this motorcycle stuff and only started riding last year at 45. I love it.

Basically the only other thing that I did was run a auto break line to the back of the trike to run the rear breaks from the right break handle. I am still working on a way to reinstall the front breaks, but so far those bike 9" rear tires seem to give me lots of breaking power. That's about it. Shifter, chair mount and breaks.

Please feel free to email me, or have your friend do so. If I can help one person to accomplish this, it is worth while for sure.

Note that the first two sites are for shifters and the third might be able to help with a chair mount. Let me know if I can help. Not sure if he sold it, but the freedom-track site shows a bike that is all set up and the guy wants to sell it.

http://rhometown.com/geniedsp/geniesite ... 0000011586

http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter.htm

http://www.freedom-track.com/

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am by nature a cynical man, but you Wheels are a man to look up to.

Bless you.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wheels I like the way you took care of the rear brake problem and the plus is that the front brake pads and rotos will never wear out. My father in law was 55 when he took up motorcycle riding and he only has three fingers on his right hand, no way could use front brakes, machined up some parts and moved it from the right side to the left side, the easy part was it was cable.
Now that I've highjacked the post got to run.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wheels,

Last year, I had cartilage surgery on my left knee and whined and whined and whined. I have stopped whining, you are a MAN to be looked up to.

Ride on! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Larry - Thanks for the information. I ordered the trike wings and the small wings that fit under the mirrors.

I already had the upper Baker Built Wings.

Still looking for some type of rear bumper or light bar suitable for the Champion Trike.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sk8ter said:
Larry - Thanks for the information. I ordered the trike wings and the small wings that fit under the mirrors.

I already had the upper Baker Built Wings.

Still looking for some type of rear bumper or light bar suitable for the Champion Trike.
10:4

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bumper

Sk8ter said:
I agee, I'd like to see something like the Motor Trike nerf bar for the Champion.

Just put the trike wings on this weekend. They really seem to cut down the wind.

Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts