GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of us when the winter weather arrives, we put things on our trikes in preparation for next riding season. Today, I put a set of BTWs on my GL1800 Champion Trike. I noticed that they "move around", even though I've tightened them according to the instructions. Is this normal? Is it because of the plastic mounting clamps and the metal crash bars? I can understand why they supplied two rubber baby buggy bumper for the fairing. Just trying to find out if I passed the SAR (Some Assembly Required) test.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Mine also move around some....and I check the "screws" to make sure they haven't loosened up every month or so.

Over tightening is a bad thing, but when they move around it is easy to think the install hasn't been done right!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had my BTW on for about a year. I've tightened several times and even wrapped several wraps of electrical tape around chrome bar where clamps grip thinking this would help but to no avail so I've decided to quit fooling with them before I over tighten and crack wing. They're not going anywhere so I'm leaving well enough alone.

Gil

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your input. Glad to know I haven't reached the moron stage in my life. Being an AARP member is bad enough.
Mike
'02 PY Champion Trike

·
Registered
792 Posts
The bumpers are to keep the wing from hit the paint, the wing will move around in the wind some that keeps from marking up the paint. To take off you can use a hair dryer to heat them up and take them right off.

G

·
I wondered the same thing but Baker told me they are supposed to be loose. I know it seems strange, 'cause I want everything to be tight. But these are made in a way that you cannot really tighten them without breaking them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
One thing for sure is that they cannot move to the rear as they contact the crash bar on the rear side.

Problem I had with them - they will slide down as you ride, and rub the lower left tuperware below the rocker cover, thereby removing the paint. I cut a small strip of rubber about 1/4 inch thick, put on some double sided tape and stuck it on the tupperware where the wings make contact. Problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts