GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know lots of folks love the Baker wings and have them installed, I am curious what kind of issues come up if you want to permanently remove them ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The two holes that was drilled in the trim piece. You would need to find some new ones without the holes or I think they still make a chrome one in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Only problem would be where the holes are for the fairing wings.
I had a friend that took them off and put screws with chrome caps in the holes.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
True for the air wings in the middle. No drilling for the hand wings and foot wings so no problem for those.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I know lots of folks love the Baker wings and have them installed, I am curious what kind of issues come up if you want to permanently remove them ?
Do you have upper and lower? let me know if it changes your ride when you remove them. Mine weren't Baker wings, but I had upper, lower and then the Baker leg wings on mine. When I removed them the only issue I had was the bike seemed so much more nimble and responsive. I never put them back.

Edit: sorry I think I misread your post. Do you have any on now?

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have upper and lower? let me know if it changes your ride when you remove them. Mine weren't Baker wings, but I had upper, lower and then the Baker leg wings on mine. When I removed them the only issue I had was the bike seemed so much more nimble and responsive. I never put them back.

Edit: sorry I think I misread your post. Do you have any on now?
Nope I don't have any baker wings, just curious about issues with removing them, appears that the holes drilled threw the fairing trim strips would ruin them so they would need to be replaced $$$, what kind of damage if any is caused under the trim strips ? How many holes do they drill to install them ? Seems like a lot of used wings have bakers installed and if I buy one they would be removed ASAP so wondering how expensive that would get :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I believe there are either two or four per side depending on uppers/lowers used on the faring strips. I ride with a passenger so they were paramount to her comfort. Made a big difference in the buffeting she experienced. Almost gone except in a side wind.
I was a little unnerved about drilling the holes to begin with because of both the after affect and getting it right the first time.
The holes are drilled exactly in the spot where the bolts screw into already existing bolt holes. You remove those bolts and put the ones in that the bakers provide. There is no tear up of anything underneath.
dave

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The holes are drilled exactly in the spot where the bolts screw into already existing bolt holes. You remove those bolts and put the ones in that the bakers provide. There is no tear up of anything underneath.
dave
Thanks for the info Dave, sounds like maybe baker uses the same Honda bolt anchor nuts ? If that's the case all I would need to replace is the fairing strip on each side total of almost $200 :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
When I bought my wing I noticed the holes in the cover strip and it wasn't till I bought baker wings that I found out what the holes were for ;)... Love the bakers

·
Registered
468 Posts
never need to take them off

Yes, they look ugly when you first see them or put them on......

Take a several hundred mile trip through hot and cold wheather..... the then look pretty cool....

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Try the mirror hand wings first. They may be all you need and removing them leaves no trace. They were all I needed but made a huge difference for me.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I put the Baker Wings on my Trike (mirrors, fairing and trike leg wings).
I bought the clear ones and you can't hardly see them on my white trike.
Wouldn't be without them

·
Registered
778 Posts
Baker Wing Holes

Took mine off for a few months. Went to Lowe's or Home Depot and bought 4 black plastic hole plugs ( size 1/2" ) and put them in the holes in the trim strip. They can be had in a shiny or matte finish. The matte finish looks like factory done. However, I put the Wings back on as I found that I really like the even thought they do not look especially streamline. They do work well.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Gee Wiz Mike, you gonna retire your yellow wing before you hit 500,000?

John

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
if you are riding one up all the time then the mirror wings are all you need. if you are riding two up best keep the misses happy. my wife cannot do without them now. even on hot days when i open them she gets blasted with the wind and would like them shut

1 - 17 of 17 Posts