GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who own Baker wings do you experience this?

I have the hand wings and air wings with lowers. They work very well to bring air into my body. But, there's always a but, I have noticed an huge temperature increase from my knees down. To the point it is uncomfortable.

What say ye, oh masters of the Goldwing. Am I the only one that has noticed this? If not, what do you do?

Tree

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, the lowers were closed. I experimented with the upper and lowers. The uppers opened or closed didn't make a difference except for the wind blowing on me. I opened the lowers about an inch and it seemed to help a little. I don't know but maybe it prevented a low pressure in that area.

Tree

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
At first I was using my Baker Air Wing LOWERS incorrectly. Perhaps you're doing the same.

The lowers should be closed (leading edge folded in tight against the bike) when you want to stay cool. The only time you should open the lowers is when you want to direct the hot air coming out of the radiator toward you to keep warm.

At least this is how the video on the Baker Air Wing web site says to use them.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hey there Tree... I think he (winghead) is referring to the lower air vents on the bike. Not the lower wings.

See here:

But... just as WingMan was saying... Keep the Lowers closed on hot days and open on cool days. Here's the video... Fast Forward to 2:10 for the operation of the lower wing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHIrsrj8sz0

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
For those who own Baker wings do you experience this?

I have the hand wings and air wings with lowers. They work very well to bring air into my body. But, there's always a but, I have noticed an huge temperature increase from my knees down. To the point it is uncomfortable.

What say ye, oh masters of the Goldwing. Am I the only one that has noticed this? If not, what do you do?

Tree
No "Master" here but this was my experience:
This past week I rode from Fort Worth to Lubbock in 107-111 degrees with a strong crosswind from the left. The additional heat that I was getting on my left shin was so intense through my Olympia pants that I thought I was getting burned. Seems my airwings (also with lowers) created a concentrated area of radiator exhaust at the bottom of the lower wing which then blew on to my shin about 5" below my knee. The right side was fine. At the next gas stop, I removed the left side airwings and put them in the saddlebag. That helped alot.

During head/tail winds, the concentrated heat is still there but just outside of the lower legs normal riding position. Crosswinds significantly reduce the ability of the wings to divert the heat and in fact concentrate the heat much like a funnel between the wing sections.

I'll be looking for another type of airwing with a single lower piece to push the radiator exhaust further away from the legs.

BTW, the lower vents were closed but didn't notice any difference in airflow or temperature.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My experience with the Baker lower wings in the summertime has been disappointing--to the extent that I removed the lower wings and replaced them with Show Chrome lowers. These are much longer and work great. The upper Baker wings and the hand wings (under the mirrors) work just fine. It's a shame Baker doesn't offer a longer lower wing to block all the radiator heat.

I also remove the leg wings in the warm riding season as I have found they trap heat behind them, as they are designed to do, but there is already way too much heat in that section coming from the radiators.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is exactly what I'm experiencing. I will try to remove the lowers to see what happens. I will look into the showchrome idea too.

Thanks.

Tree

No "Master" here but this was my experience:
This past week I rode from Fort Worth to Lubbock in 107-111 degrees with a strong crosswind from the left. The additional heat that I was getting on my left shin was so intense through my Olympia pants that I thought I was getting burned. Seems my airwings (also with lowers) created a concentrated area of radiator exhaust at the bottom of the lower wing which then blew on to my shin about 5" below my knee. The right side was fine. At the next gas stop, I removed the left side airwings and put them in the saddlebag. That helped alot.

During head/tail winds, the concentrated heat is still there but just outside of the lower legs normal riding position. Crosswinds significantly reduce the ability of the wings to divert the heat and in fact concentrate the heat much like a funnel between the wing sections.

I'll be looking for another type of airwing with a single lower piece to push the radiator exhaust further away from the legs.

BTW, the lower vents were closed but didn't notice any difference in airflow or temperature.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The Show Chrome lowers attach under the fairing strips to existing screws--no drilling required. I have a picture of my setup but unfortunately, haven't been able to find it yet.

BTW, the Bakers were the 2nd "farkle" added to my ride back in '08. The Show Chrome lowers were the 3rd.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Just to keep the terminology straight, by lowers, do you mean the lower half of the standard air Wings, or the leg wings. (the ones that mount to your crash bars.)

The leg Wings are known to trap hot air and make your legs hot. With the standard Air Wings, I have not noticed any difference in heat with or without them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have not had problems with heat until I got a belly pan, which after installing the belly pan I noticed mega heat below the knees. I have had the Baker full monty wind wings and have had no problem till belly pan. I removed the leg wing (from the crash bar) and that seems to have to changed the air dynamics and the heat coming out of the radiators at knee level.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to keep the terminology straight, by lowers, do you mean the lower half of the standard air Wings, or the leg wings. (the ones that mount to your crash bars.)

The leg Wings are known to trap hot air and make your legs hot. With the standard Air Wings, I have not noticed any difference in heat with or without them.
I mean the lower half of the standard air wings, I don't have the leg wings. I do believe the heat is being trapped because of the low pressure behind the wings.

I do have a belly pan, I might have to experiment with taking it off.

Tree

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have Orville Sage wind wings. They have 3 sections and divert air from both exhaust ports from the radiator. Work very well. About the same price as Bakers and well made.

·
Registered
679 Posts

I agree with this. l don't use the leg wings in warm weather riding. Also, when I rode a 1500SE, I never felt any heat from the engine/radiator section. But, the later model Gl1800s are a different story--plenty of heat is coming out of the radiator grills and unless deflected, will hit the driver on the lower legs. Can't speak for the early 1800s but surely someone could make a comparison of similarly equipped wind deflectors, although I've seen some Baker Air Wings mounted with the larger wing on the lower end of the bracket. That would make a big difference.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I havn't noticed this. Those vents down by your knees are closed right?
heat will come out of those.
Cool air comes through those vents or at least ambient temp air which feels cool and keeps the lower legs from sweating. If you are going over 20 mph, the air travels through too fast to get heated by the engine. If the air at that level is hot from the road, that may be what you are finding coming through the vents which is no different that that around you at the level.

I was in the Carolinas for a month this spring with temps @ 90° - 102° and those vents kept my legs cool for which I was grateful.

I made these for the Bakers and they cause the air to go around the radiator exits and that pulls the heat away.
:fullsize:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
ok now I'm confused.
Those lower vents in the faring are for fresh air, correct? I didn't think that was engine heat. But I was wrong once.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Those lower vents in the faring are for fresh air, correct?
I thought those knee-level fairing vents were for hot air coming past the radiators, but not according to the owner's manual, which says they are fresh air vents. See pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Waldo, what year model Goldwing do you have that you can get cool air thru the built-in vents? I have a 2008 and cannot detect any air coming out of those vents--hot or cold. Is there a simple modification which can be made to increase air flow?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yeah I think those vents are something to fill a space on the fairing. Very low function if anything.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am working on a possible fix for the hot air coming out of the lower radiator port. The parts mite be here tomorrow, and it will be drilling 2 quick holes to attach protection for the lower source of hot air. Will advise if this works.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts