GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at Americade over the weekend (first time ever) and my wife and I stopped at the Baker Wings tent and talked to the guy there about the 1833 Wings. My wife experiences a lot of buffeting and he told us the mid wings (ones under mirrors) help with that so I had them install a set to test on our 350 mile trip home. The report from my wife is OMG! they work perfect. We do mostly secondary roads but to cut some time I jumped on the interstate for about 40 miles at 80 + MPH and with the wings in and the shield up she said she got absolutely no wind or buffeting at all. If you open the wings up you get a large volume of cooling air which I think will be beneficial on the hot days. The wings are a little pricey but if they work I guess they are worth it. I still plan on installing a Madstad windshield as soon as they are released so maybe I can lower the shield some and still keep her comfortable at speed. The also have a grab rail for the Wing which is also pricey but again she loves them and hated the stock ones. Just passing this along so maybe this setup will work for someone else.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I did all three down the sides and the customizability is awesome. I can even pull some heat from the radiator if I like with the lowest set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't take any pics and if I did I would not know how to post them. I think if you go to Baker Built web site they may have some or maybe Seth would post some of his.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine are clear and hard to see. I can try.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yep those are the uppermost; there’s two more sets below those available as well.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
I am just familiar with HAND WINGS (under the side mirrors) and LOWER WINGS. Not the MID WINGS. I have the pricy but good Honda OEM HAND WINGS in clear. (I could never get over the Baker funky looking Hand Wings for the +18 Wing)

For my riding (mostly in hot Texas) I leave the wings open for more air flow not less

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The older style Baker ‘wings on the older bikes looked OK. But the new 2018/19 Baker ‘wings look horrible! They may work ok but are never going on my bike unless they re-design them . . .

·
Registered
356 Posts
The older style Baker ‘wings on the older bikes looked OK. But the new 2018/19 Baker ‘wings look horrible! They may work ok but are never going on my bike unless they re-design them . . .

Personal preference I guess. Maybe it’s because mine are clear but they’re not bad looking at all in person.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Opinions are like...well, you know. IMO, the Baker Builts look more than nice on the 2018+. How they work, however, is not as good as they did on my old GL15.

I really don't want to spend another $170 on their hand wings. I am considering taking the deflectors off and replacing the plastic I had to drill, then going with a different brand. I have yet to find a highway peg to work with the Baker lowers, and I really want highway pegs for the long days in the saddle.

·
Registered
130 Posts

I have never thought they look good on any bike.

I know they work well - they’re just hideous all big and square.

From the GL1500 to now they are what I consider the best example of function over form.

The ShowChrome options look pretty nice, they seem to match the shapes of the 1833 better IMO.

But everyone I know who has the Bakers loves them for function - they absolutely work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Personal preference I guess. Maybe it’s because mine are clear but they’re not bad looking at all in person.

Clear lessens the blow:grin2:

Reactions: Order66

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don’t disagree. There was a method to my choice. :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Reactions: Order66

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes hand wings, sorry for calling them mid wings. They do have a forth set that goes above the mirrors which in my mind would better be called hand wings and the hand wings called mid wings. Maybe I'll call them and make the suggestion for the change. Anyhow they work and I'm happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd like to add to this thread: Riding our new-to-us '08 GL1800 in 100 degree plus temps had us cooking. I installed a pair of Baker Hand Wings with very good results - that wind blast helps! When San Joaquin valley temps eventually drop I think we'll appreciate their ability to block wind when flipped the other direction. The light tint blends in well with the titanium color of the bike so they've become invisible to me. Also, I "misplaced" some parts during assembly and the company responded quickly with free replacements.

No affiliation with the company, just happy with their product and service.

Lee

1 - 20 of 23 Posts