GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on a 'Stone 709 in front of my '02 after balancing and finding it didn't need any weights. Seemed absolutely in balance. Had a wobble from 25 to 50 both accelerating and decelerating. Installed dyna beads. No help. Tire now has worn down about half way. (3/32nds left.) NO cupping. NO wobble above 50 mph.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Tire beads were not fully seated during mount process. Do you recall two very loud bangs? Wobbles on accel and decel is not balance related; but out of round in one plane or another.

prs

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Tire beads were not fully seated during mount process. Do you recall two very loud bangs? Wobbles on accel and decel is not balance related; but out of round in one plane or another.

prs
This would be my guess too!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The tire beads usually seat at around 20-25 psi. I think they would have seated when the tire was fully aired-up. That tire bead would have to bone-dry not to pop at full inflation.

B-Stones say you go up to 51psi to seat. But I would stand WWAAAYYY back from the rim at that pressure. A clip-on tire chuck and an extension hose are in order.

Take a real close look at the beads. You may have to break the beads, lube them and re-seat.

Could it be a bad tire??

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give re-seating it a try.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
These are stiff tires, even the less stiff brands are relatively stiff compared to most other cycle and car tires. I recall one of our respected previous posters having claimed there is no way the beads can be seated improperly, but my experiences are contraty to his learned claim.

Don't get crazy slopping the tire lube on, but do get a nice even wet or paste coating. Before seating, it can help to lift the wheel/tire assembly chest high and drop it on a clean floor so that it lands vertical on the tread, rotate and repeat several times to center the tire beads against the rim wall evenly. Have the stem core removed, have an air supply with high volume capacity and set pressure to the max cold inflation pressure or a bit higher (again, no need to go over-board here). You need to hear the "BANG! --- BANG" as they seat. Let the air escape, install the core just snuggly, then put some soapy water around the upper bead and assure there is not leak, flip and repeat that test. Put a dib of soapy water on the valve stem opening to assure no leak. Wipe all dry and inspect the little lines on the tire side walls just outward of the rim wall to help assure the seating is true.

BTW, in use, our tires ofter exceed 50# by quite a bit as the air charge expands with heat. I set my compressor's outlet pressure to 50#, uf she don't go "BANG -- BANG", I repeat the seating.

prs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts