GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call it what you will...........their coming.

Worst states for deer collisions

1 Pennsylvania
2 Michigan
3 Illinois
4 Ohio
5 Georgia
6 Minnesota
7 Virginia
8 Indiana
9 Texas
10 Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Last week I counted 14 dead on I79 northbound. Morgantown WV to Washington Pa. 42 miles.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mississippi is OVERRUN with deer!!! Yesterday myself with another wing and 2 Harleys coming south on rt 45, deer standing grazing 5' off the road at 3:00 pm. They scare the fire out of me. I never ride around dawn or dusk!!

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
THIN THE HERD. too many everywhere, can we all say overpopulation. :shock:
Two more words for you: OPEN SEASON :p

Ok I'm done. T. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
They're rats with antlers around here. As more and more "No Hunting" signs get posted they just keep breeding unchecked. And to think I used to hear stories when I was a kid that if hunting wasn't soon outlawed, there would be no deer left some day.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I consider them the next largest threat to motorcycling next to left turners. My wife started keeping track of the number of days we saw deer while we were out riding and had one period of 7 straight days. I guess it is the one/ones that we don't see that pose the greatest danger. :evil:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I have hit 5 deer on bikes so far. This was two weeks ago.

Just far too many deer! I have a dozen or two in my yard every night! Just too dangerous to keep them for hunters target practice.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Well, YW,

As a matter of fact, it did! I was in a curve at 65 mph with lights down and a truck coming with its lights blinding me. The deer was there with no warning, about 25 feet in front of me. All the brakes there was and bam! Without ABS it would have been a repeat of two years ago. Deer flew about 150 feet.

I was going to continue the 49 miles to Bandera Breakfast but I smelled coolant and knew it would be gone soon, so I did a Ueey and went 8 miles back home, swapped trailers with the 93 Wing and stopped by the scene to pick up the broke plastic and got to Bandera about an hour late. That old wing turned 255,000 today. Wife and I will be on it at AM in the morning, headed for Bandera.

I am supposed to get the red 04 back Wednesday wiht $6,086 in parts and labor added. Forks, radiators, fans, all plastic from the seat forward. It has 113,000 on it. The 1800A is a lot safer in the dark in the deer country than my 1500. You can not just park a Wing just because of the deer. All five deer I have hit on bikes have been the same scenario. Oncoming vehicle blinds you, deer runs out from behind it and the first time you see it is 1/2 second before impact. Don't even have tiime to finish the famous phrase, "O shi....."

I am more than a little glad that you did not have that complication on your little kilomile outing. Contratulations again on a tremedous feat.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Yep!!. Some readers may not remember all the rhetoric from a couple years back so they would not know the inside skinny.

I will say one thing. I was going 10 mph faster this time than the last bad one which was on my 90S with a Windjammer on it and pulling that long aluminum Streamliner.

That Beemer would not slide the wheels, so ABS was not an issue. However the Bang was many times louder on the beemer and the damage much worse. It knocked a carburetor off, smashed the left saddlbag like a run over watermellon, smashed the fairing into the tank and bent it, broke a nipple of the tank on one side, bent the rear frame, crossover exhaust pipe, etc,etc.

There was no radiator to leak and I was 100 miles out. Had to put the carb back on, plug the fuel hose on the side with the broken nipple, and have my buddy lead home since my headlight was up in the trees off to one side.

Of course the dollar amount was much highter this time, 30 years later.

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts
Reason for over population????

Hunters go figure... don't Believe?? look it up...

Matt(Ashland,MA) :shock:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Wanna see deer, come to the Garden State. They are thick here. Also lots of turkeys, vulchers and groun hogs.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Matt,
I do blame the hunters for over population of the deer. They don't shoot enough of them. 'Course, there is the legal aspect. :lol:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think deer are the biggest threat to bikers. You can sometime guess what the cagers are going to do, no way on those 4 legged creatures. I tend to not ride this time of year in Ohio..... they are even more unpredictable during rut.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
the quantity.........

In my opinion that is totally unsupported by anything other than my opinion I believe it is the following reason that we are up to our handlebars in deer.

We have allowed the American farmer to be replaced by the conglomerate mega corporate farming operations. When I was a boy growing up in Indiana in the 50's I went to school with young folks who got up at 4 to do the milking or baled hay or some other agriculturally related activity. Today there is little farming at the 800 acre level anymore. There is no longer a family (or maybe 30 million families?) with three or four members who will all harvest a deer and run trap lines and slaughter a hog or two and run drop lines along the rivers. The hired hands of family farming are the kids who lived there and required food to continue to exist. It has become financially unfeasable to try and live on the money you can make as a small scale American farmer. I knew kids who hunted deer, birds, turtles, and many varmint animals that had a bounty on them. Crow heads were 50 cents apiece and fox ears were a buck a pair as varmints but not any longer. There was a time when there were literally millions of deer a year taken as a food source for the rural population but not any longer. My friends out here who hunt tell me that most of their kids aren't interested in going hunting.

Other than beginning a massive harvest program to feed the elderly or the poor then we are gonna be stuck with more and more deer ad infinitum? Here where I live they have a bow season in the fall on the golf course to reduce the number of antelope that are eating up the place.

I don't know if there are enough GoldWings out there to knock down enough deer without killing the riders to make a dent in their population. I buried a 30 year frind 2 months ago that died from hitting a deer on his Kawasaki cruiser.

As for myself (Tom) when I am riding at night and I am forced to lower my headlight beams I also skin back the throttle to get my speed in a closer ratio to the range of vision I have. I am constantly amazed by the number of high speed deer hits we have around here and people still just do not seem to be able to get it? My 26 year old son hit a buck in his 2002 Monte Carlo 2 years ago and they totaled the car. He never left the road but it creamed the entire front end from the grill to the windshield. He told me he was doing about 70 when he hit it.

Bring back the farmer with a few kids and the deer will be in deep doodoo?

Denny

·
Registered
338 Posts
I suggested to my Dept. Natural Resources friend here in Ohio that the citizens should have to prove they harvested 12 deer so they would get a pass on that year's state taxes.

After the wife & I dealt with our deer encounter in June I firmly believe we have way too many! I am a hunter btw.

I do know for a fact that a lot more deer harvesting permits (ala open season year round tag) are handed out by the DNR than ever before.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I try to do my best, I got a nice mature Doe a couple of weeks ago. Dressed out to around 140-150 LBs, I got about 40 LBs of meat.

I have gone hunting for the last 3 weekends, all I have seen is Doe.

I told my buddy that owns the land we hunt, that he must be running a Lesbian Deer camp, cause I ain't seen no bucks :(

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well, how many does can one buck service? If all the hunters do is bag the bucks, seems to me (granted, I'm a non-hunter) all we are doing is make a few bucks really happy, and hardly even cutting into the birth rate. We often have a dozen or more does out in our front yard, and in two years here, I've yet to see the first buck. Perhaps there should be a lottery for buck tags, and open season on the does.

It got so bad in Philadelphia the city sent professional hunters into Fairmount Park and took out 500 deer. They used some sort of low powered rifles w/nightscopes. Still lots and lots of deer left there.

Ride long and safe..and watch out for Bambi.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
338 Posts
Haven't bought my tags yet and have two deer in the freezer. Local extremely fresh road kill. Wife picked up the last one. Neighbor about 2 miles away is a very good processor & extremely reasonable.

In fact, the deer that hit us in June was right next to his house. Like they say, "within five miles of home."

But the deer population is not controlled by scientific evidence nor public opinion but by the political sway of the administrative stratospheric collection of appointed "capitol building" policy makers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts