GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a friend (no really, I do!)....his 01 GL1800 (90K miles) with a new bank angle sensor on order. Being the curious type I wanted to learn more about this component. Please answer my comments and questions if you are knowledgable on this stuff.

1) I believe the bank angle sensor 'lives' in the centerline vertical tube at the very front of the frame (under the upper triple clamp). True statement?

2) From looking at the microfische it looks like the bank angle sensor (the component that shuts off the bike by inhibiting fuel and spark if it exceeds a certain angle, such as if you drop the bike) and the turn cancel sensor are one and the same component. Is this true?

3) Does anyone have any knowledge of the commonality of this component failing? If so, what was the failure mode/circumstances? Why did it fail?

4) Symptons were: a) bike won't start; b) no FI light when you turn the switch on; c) plenty of cranking power; d) good battery voltage

Any thoughts from all the smart folks out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Nope

That green connector in the center tube is not related to the Bank Angle Sensor, and the Bank angle sensor and the Auto cancel and or the signal cancel under the steering has nothing to do with the Bank Angle Sensor.

sb12.pdf (application/pdf Object) This is a bit of a different subject but will show you the location of the sensor.

You can simply put a jump wire across the pin connector and see if the bike starts. Unplug the pin connector and jump the wires.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,480 Posts
So Matt, if I understand you correctly, the engine cranks but won't start and the FI light is not coming on. Here is the schematic for it: Like Kit said, if you just short 2 of the wires together on it's plug you can see if it gets the bike running. Short the red/white wire to the green wire and the bike should start and run. The thing is mounted onto the rear of the right low beam headlight assembly. It simply provides the ground path for the fuel injection/ignition relay's coil. That relay provides power to the ECM and the coils, as well as some other circuits.

These don't fail very often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bank angle sensor

Awesome thread! I totaled my 05 GL1800 in July have found a buyer for my motor. I have not been able to start it and have been loosing my mind! Of course after reading this thread, it all made sense, since my entire right faring was obliterated! I went out and scrounged through the debris, and wa la! there was the Bank angle sensor attached to the back of the headlight. hooked it up and starts like a champ! Thanx for starting the thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Awesome thread! I totaled my 05 GL1800 in July have found a buyer for my motor. I have not been able to start it and have been loosing my mind! Of course after reading this thread, it all made sense, since my entire right faring was obliterated! I went out and scrounged through the debris, and wa la! there was the Bank angle sensor attached to the back of the headlight. hooked it up and starts like a champ! Thanx for starting the thread.

Ouch!
Pictures like this are hard to look at...:eek:4:...Hope you were ok! Are you getting another bike??

Ronnie

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,480 Posts
Glad you found the old thread, we aim to please. :thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,674 Posts
THAT'LL BE $29.95 !!!!:bow::bow::lol::lol: THE FORUM IS GREAT !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts