GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experienced a problem twice now that I believe is related to the Bank Angle Sensor. I started the bike up and it turns over but will not fire up. I called Honda Dealer and they did not have a clue.

The first time it happened, I had it towed in to Dealer and he called me to say it started up just fine. Since they could not duplicate the problem, I just rode it and waited for the problem to occur again (if ever).

About 5 months later, it happens again. I thought about the problem and theorized that since the bike was probably joustled around in transit to the Bike shop last time this happened, it may be a problem with the Bank Angle Sensor being stuck. I tried to move the Bike back and forth in the garage but was not successful in freeing it. My wife suggested we try it again together. I put the bike up on the center stand and with her assisting, and we bounced the bike more aggressively on the stand. This time the bike fired right up! I informed the Dealer of the fix and my thoughts that it is the Bank Angle Sensor sticking, but they really don't want to commit unless they can verify the problem.

I just wanted to let others know of my fix and hope it helps out if you should have the same problem in the future.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If I'm not mistaken if the bank angle sensor is closed the bike will not crank either. I think you are describing a "crank but no start" condition. my experience with the 1800 has been an "under sensitive " bank angle sensor. You may want to try checking to see whether you are missing spark, fuel or both the next time it occurs. This would aid in a diagnosis other than the shotgun approach. There are many things which could cause the condition you describe. Any one of them could have an improper connection including something as simple as one single fuel injector connector..... Rob

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do with the bank angle sensor. When you first turn on the key do you hear the fuel pump run for a short while?

Or, it might be a connector somewhere that is not fully snapped in place.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input!

I will check the bike for loose connections first and if it happens again, I will check spark (should have done that the first time) and fuel.

Best Regards and Ride Safe

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cranks but won't start

It seems I remember an earlier post concerning this problem. The answer provided at that time was a weak battery. Supposively, the starter required less voltage than the rest of the system. It would be just like an alternater that would not charge unless it had over 9 volts feeding it.
At the time it didn't sound right...but just maybe it could be the problem. Put a volt meter on the battery while cranking. I would feel ok with 10.5 volts under load...no less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stick to your guns. You are looking in the right direction. I broke down in Charleston SC with same situation with bike engine turning over, lights working and the whole 9 yards. After two Honda Dealers in town gave up, I put the bike in a truck($200) and took it to the Iron Horse Honda Dealer in Monroe, NC. They concluded that the problem was in the Bank Angle Sensor in one hour. The Bank Angle Sensor on the bike actually checked bad according the TM. They overnight ordered me a new one. You guessed it, the new one checked bad on the bike. They ordered two more, samething happen. Big Honda rep came in. He had no idea. They decided to order sensors from a different stocking location ( California). Problem still bad sensors. Now I am 6 days deep in Motel bills and told them I am going home and they are to call me when the bike is fixed. They actually loaned me a bike to go home on. One week later Dennis call me to say the bike is ready and that the problem was in the Harness (corrusion?). That is a $1300 item and two days to remove and replace. It was done under warranty. Honda wanted the harness back. I have a 2001 with 75000 miles on the clock. HANG TOUGH.[/b]

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
GoldvalkyrieJG - do you still have the HRCA membership? Some of your costs could have been taken care of by your HRCA membership if you still maintained it including your initial tow to the nearest Honda Dealer and some of your emergency-travel-expense. Just a thought. Thanks why I always intent to maintain that plan (plus my GWRRA membership).

DaleC

·
Registered
88 Posts
There was a recall this spring due to sensor being mounted with fasteners that are too short. IF the sensor is, indeed, causing this problem, could it be that it's loose? Did you have the recall inspection?

GWG
03 Silver
Lakeville, MN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did have the bike in for the ECM fix and asked that they perform all additional recall work. I know they replaced the dash gauges as my speedometer stuck a few times on hot days. Other than that, I am not sure if they looked at the Sensor in question.

I am planning on riding it and if it occurs again, I will just try the old bounce method again to see if it starts. I love this bike and hate having to leave it at the dealer for anything. I have 45k miles and it has been a great ride.

I will certainly let this site know if I ever figure out why this has occurred twice, and why bouncing it on the center stand fixed it the last time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts