GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased my first Goldwing and I have a unique situation. It is a classic "barn-find" and I was wondering what I should look at, change, replace, etc. after it has been sitting for so long. The bike was purchased by an older gentleman in 2003 who put a little over 600 miles on it and then stored it in his garage. I got it yesterday with 627 miles (YES, only 627 miles!) on the clock for $5k. The guy I bought it from changed the oil, plugs, and fuel pump to get it running. He put a product into the cylinders before starting it as well (I can't remember the name of the product). It also needs new tires as the ones on it are the original ones and are obviously shot. The VIN # is outside of the range of VINs that had the frame weld issue so I think I'm good there.

It fires right up and sounds good!

But besides these basic things what else should I look at? Timing belt, rear end oil, brake lines? I have a couple of bikes on which I do my own maintenance and can turn a wrench on most jobs outside of deep engine/tranny work.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did have a mouse resident and parts of the harness have been replaced. I forgot to mention that in my original post. The radio is not working so I need to dig into that where I'll probably find a few more chew marks...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I would change all fluids, brake, clutch, not sure about the coolant... no belt timing has a chain, no worries there. Work all the switches with a plastic safe cleaner some like Deoxit... cleans and lubs. Welcome to the board enjoy your barn find and ride it!! Be safe ride safe!
Joe

By the way this is a great site with plenty of members willing to help bikers helping bikers!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The following has been done to the bike now:
1. New tires
2. Brake/Clutch fluid changed
3. Oil and Coolant changed
4. New air filter
5. Fuel system cleaner added to a full tank of 93 Octane

I put on about 150 miles on it on Sunday. For the first 80-100 miles there was an annoying rattle up to about 2k RPM when starting in 1st gear. It seems sluggish as well - not at full power.
But all of the sudden (after 80-100 miles) everything cleared up. No more rattle and way more power in all gears. Ran/Idled very smoothly after that.

However, I can't get the FM/AM radio to work nor the CB - No sound from the speakers.
The WB works fine - I can hear it from the speakers, just not FM/AM/CB.

Cruise control will come on but not engage.

Also got the FI - 26 code "Left Knock Sensor". Hoping it's not the ECM but things are starting to point that way. I will take it apart soon and check all of the connections.

Also have a small leak in the right fork seal but I can fix that (both sides) - no problem.

Any thoughts on the above issues are appreciated!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Probably took 80-100 miles to burn off the mystery fluid/oil the guy put in the cylinders prior to starting it. The "rattle" may have been detonation?
Unless the 93 is pure non-ethanol gas (and even if it is) the relatively low compression Wing will run as good/better on faster burning 87 octane.
Hope you get the misfire code cleared up w/o a new ECU.
Nice Illusion Blue! Enjoy.

·
Registered
562 Posts
you got one heck of a fine deal....

one suggestion, don't buy anymore high octane fuel, it is wasteful and does not improve performance. in fact, it can cause carbon build up on the plugs.

87 octane is all any Honda Goldwing has ever needed, even in the mountains pulling a trailer.
been there, done that, no detonation ever experienced.

I have a 2002 which is young yet at 113,890 miles; just filled it up and recorded that in my Fuelio app.

Fuelio auto calculates the MPG, the numbers over 35 mpg are at speeds below 60.

the MPG readings below 36 are wide open throttle on the Interstates for hours at a time.

IF, you want the Fuelio app, get it here:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For starters, every single fluid in the bike should be changed. Brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant, engine oil, rear drive oil, fork oil, and gas.
I changed every fluid out (and put new dancing shoes on the big girl) before riding it except fork oil. That I will do shortly because one of the fork seals has a slight leak. I will use 87 octane going forward.

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
I changed every fluid out (and put new dancing shoes on the big girl) before riding it except fork oil. That I will do shortly because one of the fork seals has a slight leak. I will use 87 octane going forward.
Although your fork(s) may indeed need new seals, remember this. As with all chemicals, they have different properties, and rubber parts can directly react to them. For example, fork rubber is designed to swell once it is exposed to fork oil. Therefore, you might try riding it a little to see if exposure of fork oil to the seals lessons the leak. However be careful ... do not ride it to the point of oil getting on any rubber brake parts, pads, or rotor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts