GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else on this board watched the auction, or are Ya'll the ones buying those cars. 8) I can't believe the prices on those cars (oh yeah and the bikes). What do these guys do for a living? It is amazing to this 'Ol farmboy from West Texas, and to think people are saying the economy is going bad. :? I would love to have a 67 or 68 Vette but who has an extra $400000 laying around. :shock:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
yeah i watch it

Yes, i watch it.
Some of these cars are very unique and valuable automobiles.
Sure seems the place to sell a collectible vehicle.
I have a 46 ford now and a 51 mercury.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know yesterday they said how many cars they turned down. They just take the very best or rarest. I think they sell about 8or900 and turn down a couple of thousand. One of these years I am going to go to that .

·
Registered
770 Posts
Too bad people don't appreciate like the old cars do. I would be worth lots of money by now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought my car at the auction two years ago. A 1960 Thunderbird with the original spare still in the trunk. You pay more but generally get a very decent auto. Enjoy every minute of it with not a single mechanical problem since purchase. The auction has me glued to the T.V.
More cars are rejected than accepted. Takes whatever to place a very costly investment and put on the block with no reserve. I did it here in West Palm Beach. Got 40% more than what I would have placed the reserve at. Goes to show you, no guts no glory.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Re: yeah i watch it

JD said:
Yes, i watch it.
Some of these cars are very unique and valuable automobiles.
Sure seems the place to sell a collectible vehicle.
I have a 46 ford now and a 51 mercury.
JD you need to will me that 51, made the same year as me....love em..
got to finish my 66 mustang convertible....

·
Registered
207 Posts
What about $5,000,000. for a 66 model Shelby Cobra Mustang.
I believe all the crazy people were in Az. this past week, also with all the money.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What about $5,000,000. for a 66 model Shelby Cobra Mustang.
I believe all the crazy people were in Az. this past week, also with all the money.
The buyer might appear crazy, until they sell it in a few years for a profit.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
How about the guy that bought the CNN Hummer? Bought it for $1 M, and added $250,0000 because the guy bidding against him ran out of money. I like rich people!! (just don't know any!)

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Youngest Son Of Mine spent the past year as an electrician working on the site for B-J (a location called Westworld which used to be horse-related but has everything from classic cars shows to major motorcycle get-togethers.

Anyway, his employer gave him some free tix to the auction so he got a chance to see how the rich guys live. It is quite a show.

Unfortunately, this year, it has been raining almost steady the whole weekend. Not usual weather by our Chamber of Commerce standards.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm already working on my second BILLION dollars....the first billion passed me by. :cry:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I would sure worry paying that much for an auto.. and drive it down the street... the way some folks drive??... and lots of them have ZERO liability insurance..

cosmic

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't believe it the news can't even get that right, it sold for 5 not 5.5 mil. :?

·
Registered
552 Posts
White Gold said:
I can't believe it the news can't even get that right, it sold for 5 not 5.5 mil. :?
10% buyers premium dude... that puts it at 5.5 mil final price.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would sure worry paying that much for an auto.. and drive it down the street... the way some folks drive??... and lots of them have ZERO liability insurance..
Typically, the people that buy cars like that don't buy them to drive them. They sit somewhere on display, waiting for their value to go up even more. My brother owns a '55 Chevy Nomad with 12000 original miles. It sits in the middle of a three car garage with velvet ropes around it, like it was at an auto show. When he takes it out to take it to a show, it's only started up and run into the trailer. As the miles go up, the value goes down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts