GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time GW owner ('12) and realized that this wonderful ride does not come with a toolkit (God forbid the high cost of such a thing!). I am looking for recs from you folks as to what you would include in a basic kit to throw in the trunk. I am also leaving a week from today for a 2500 mi solo trip :excited: and would appreciate any tips on additional tools/items beyond the basics for such a ride. Thanks for your ideas and help!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Credit Card, plenty of Gas, gas, gas, and more gas, and your cell phone. Sorry I'm being sarcastic. But depending on accesories probably nothing for that new of a wing.

OK, a small air compressor if you are worried about a flat and either or tire plugs or strings to fix the flat. I've got almost 100k on this 1ing (2006) and I think I've used the toolkit twice. Once to tighten the brake handle screw, and once to fix someone elses bike.

In the 36 years I've been riding wings (yes I had a 1975 wing) I've had to repair on the road a head gasket (1975 done by a dealer) and a U-joint on my 2001 Valk I/S (didn't fix that on the side of the road). No flats, nothing falling off except the screw on my brake handle came loose in Washington in 2008. So.....

But here's what I think:

Small adjustable wrench, channel lock, one of those small hex nut combos in metric, screwdriver with multiple heads (phillips / straight). 10mm, 17mm combo wrench. Again I don't think you'll use it but that would be bare bones.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
The 2012 doesn't have a tool kit strapped in the left saddle bag?

·
Registered
993 Posts
:agree: What he said...

Seriously consider the compressor and tire plugging/gummy strips kit. Make that a Platinum credit card--get a nice hotel room!

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I kept the honda 1200 toolkit and added the metric ratcheting box open wrench set, a cresent wrench to fix harleys. I dont remember when I used it last it just takes up space in the bottom of the left bag, but if I didn t have it who knows?

Don

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
In addition to a pretty complete basic tool kit, tire repair kit, compressor and the stuff mentioned above, I carry zip ties, duct tape, a little tube of locktite, extra fuses, headlight, and a set of small jumper cables. I have never used any of this stuff on my wing, but I have fixed other peoples stuff on the road. Last week I used the jumper cables to start a guy's Yamaha.

Oh yeah, one of my handle bar weights loosened up once and I used the phillips and locktite on that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Your bike should have came with a basic tool kit.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Your bike should have came with a basic tool kit.
I think they removed the tool kit on the 2012's.

I think the list above is about all you could need. Most importantly though, have money for gas, and a place to stay. I'd bet that's all you'll need.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I keep mine in the trunk in the center hole. have screwy driver that goes moth ways, hex wrenches, vise grips, couple open/closed end wrenches, tire guage, compressor, repair kit, ties, electrical tape, and some loctite. The 2010 came with some cheapo tools but most of them are just back in the barn.

Maybe on the 2012 they dont want you to work on the bike??:joke:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I usually carry more tools than I need. I usually ride with friends on HDs or my sons on my other bikes. If they have a problem I am not going to leave them on their own. I have plenty of room on the bike so why not be prepared. A socket set, some tape, or a length of wire might mean the difference between a nice ride or a day waitng for a tow service.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Fred Harmon on speed dial.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,593 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new bike! Yep, the 2012 dealer setup doesn't list the tool kit as part of the stuff in the box. :shrug: $20,000+ is no longer enough money to get the $5 tool kit for free. :joke:

·
Registered
69 Posts
...as stated above; zip ties, a variety of sizes (micro, mini, med & large). The ones Kury gives you with shark gills are super 'cause they are reusable. They hold things together, can be rigged to replace push pins (take 2 sized correctly) and are a all-around great "McGiver" item. Clean cloth, tape, pocket knife too...these things cross over for first aid items as well, but you should make or buy a small care kit. I've used first aid more than the tools.
Hope for the best, plan for the worst...right??

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
The 2012 doesn't have a tool kit strapped in the left saddle bag?
No TOOLKIT, LESS PAINT. It is the Japanese way of saying LESS IS MORE:coffee1:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think they removed the tool kit on the 2012's.

I think the list above is about all you could need. Most importantly though, have money for gas, and a place to stay. I'd bet that's all you'll need.
TOOLS???? why..its a HONDA.:congrats:..that's like packing extra weight around for nothing....

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've added some tools to my '05 tool kit. But in all the years and hundreds of thousands of miles I've riden -- including several Harleys where I carried a fairly robust tool kit! -- the only tools I've ever used while on the road were pliers and screwdrivers and those were used usually to adjust stuff. Note that I've always maintained my bikes "by the book" so hopefully I wouldn't have problems on the road. So far, so good.

But I would pack a tire repair kit (that you know how to use! -- I've found gummy worms are the easiest to use ... and work for a temporary fix), a compressor, zip ties, electricians tape, duct tape, a multi-purpose knife or Leatherman type tool and I suppose a flashlight if you travel at night. I also carry a spare headlight and some fuses.

There's an old line from a Long Distance Rider: "Carry half the stuff and twice the cash!"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts