GL1800Riders Forums banner

Basket Case 2003 - with Pics

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  spunky the tuna 
#1 ·
I had a minor incident on 11/20/2003 with my yellow 03.

I hit a piece of road debris and punched a hole in my engine case.

Due to all the frame welds the dealership had to do, they just got to tearing my bike down.

I will be leaving for Grand Cayman in the morning, so it will be a while before I answer any questions.

Kenn

Here is a link to my home website with more pics

http://kcnc.tzo.com/wing/Damage/BasketCase.htm

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Chipmunky!

Man, that is a whole lotta innards there! Hope they all go back together without any spare parts... lol

Have a great trip!

#3 ·
Basket Case

OHMYGOD.
Did you have a belly pan?
Must have been the mother of all road debris.

#4 ·
Belly pan

All the mechanics and the tow truck driver that have seen the damage said that a sheet metal belly pan would not have saved it.

It was a ballistic hit from a 6 inch long bolt kicked up by the front tire.

There was 1 piece of engine case inside the motor and others missing in action.

Even if the case only cracked - this is the fix. Bummer huh...

#5 ·
Stopping something like that from hitting the engine case is probably unrealistic. However, slowing it down or deflecting it is probably the best we can hope for with a belly pan.

#9 ·
Insurance is paying

Insurance is paying the bill - around $4,000 but they count it as collision.

The mechanic joked today that he did not know if he could get it all back together. I said that was ok - just have a new factory engine sent down.
:D

#10 ·
Re: Insurance is paying

Chipmunky said:
Insurance is paying the bill - around $4,000 but they count it as collision.
Ummm...I think I'd argue that "collision" bit... I don't agree with that at all. I know I would argue it, since I have a lower comprehensive deductible than I do on collision.

Not only that, but a collision claim will give them more of a reason to raise your rates in the future. With a collision claim, in their way of thinking, you had an "accident", like you had hit another vehicle... or lost control and laid it down. This was neither.

#11 ·
In good ole Massachusetts an at fault accident would increase insurance premiums by $400 to $500/year for six years. I would definately argue my case if this where to happen here.
John

#12 ·
Regarding the collision vs. comprehensive issue: as it was explained to me after I was attacked by a wheel and tire that had fallen off a tow truck one time if the object I hit was moving at the time it was covered under comprehensive coverage and if it wasn't it was collision. So by that logic if the bolt was lying there minding it's own business and you ran over it, tossing it through your engine case, it's probably collision.

Of course you and your attorney may well wish to debate that directly with your insurance company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.