GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
again i am new to 2010 goldwing and would like to hook up a batterie tender so i can run a compressor off it, if i need to!
i have not even seen where the batterie is yet!
is it easy to get to and easy to hook a tender up to it?
any thoughts or ideas about this project appreciated.
i am at work thinking about this, that is why i am not looking for
my batterie.
thanks for the help

·
Registered
349 Posts
again i am new to 2010 goldwing and would like to hook up a batterie tender so i can run a compressor off it, if i need to!
i have not even seen where the batterie is yet!
is it easy to get to and easy to hook a tender up to it?
any thoughts or ideas about this project appreciated.
i am at work thinking about this, that is why i am not looking for
my batterie.
thanks for the help
Battery is under the seat. Remove 4 bolts in the grab-handles, slide back slightly and it should come off. Be careful if you have a heated seat, making sure to secure the plug. Easy to hook up a Battery Tender. Probably harder to re-install the bolts than hooking up the tender.

·
Registered
91 Posts
:congrats:eek:n the new wing.......you can allso get to the battery by taking off the left side cover below the seat. that is how i put my tender on. ride safe.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Since you are going to install the pigtail-make sure you plug in the Battery Tender whenever you park the bike in it's spot at home.
No telling how long the battery will last!
Still on original in my 06 Wing.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
:congrats:eek:n the new wing.......you can allso get to the battery by taking off the left side cover below the seat. that is how i put my tender on. ride safe.
On all GL1800's can get at (and change if need be ) the battery by taking the left side cover off below the seat.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
FYI:

If you're like me and like to save a few bucks whenever you can, (a tightwad), Harbor Freight has a Float Charger that can be rigged using a 2-wire SAE trailer plug. That's what I do with all my bikes. Works great.

Charger:
http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

Connector (2 required)
http://cgi.ebay.com/SAE-2-Prong-Connector-12-V-Power-Side-Connection-/320731075831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aad0fd4f7

Wire one connector to the battery, the other to the charger (in place of the alligator clips). Be sure the exposed (male) side of the plug that is on the battery is the negative or neutral wire, not the hot wire. Of course, the opposite hookup would be needed for the charger (male side hot).

Hook them up, plug the charger in the wall and charge away.

This has worked for me for several years with no problems,
2W

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Since you are going to install the pigtail-make sure you plug in the Battery Tender whenever you park the bike in it's spot at home.
No telling how long the battery will last!
Still on original in my 06 Wing.
I'm on my original too and I've never even owned a trickle charger. I'm thinking these trickle chargers are snake oil. We'll see how long mine lasts... Still going strong as is my riding mower battery (and its older and less used).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm on my original too and I've never even owned a trickle charger. I'm thinking these trickle chargers are snake oil. We'll see how long mine lasts... Still going strong as is my riding mower battery (and its older and less used).
Seriously?........"Snake Oil"...........LOL!

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Seriously?........"Snake Oil"...........LOL!
Yup. I can see it if you're leaving your bike sit for months at a time, but having it plugged in.at all times when you're home? Now there is an LOL! And some people are installing new batteries every 5 years who use a trickle charger.... Another LOL!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I guess I would agree they are probably not necessary if you live in a warm climate and use your bike regularly all year, but if you don't and there are weeks at a time you don't use it (like during cold months) it will maintain it without having to remove it from the bike. Inexpensive insurance IMHO.

I have three bikes and they don't all always get ridden enough especially in cold weather to maintain the battery properly but they are all always ready due to...... you guessed it...........a trickle charger.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Both my Wing and my riding mower sat for over 4 months over the last cold winter - both were ready to go when I needed them. No trickle charters. Now, I'm always in favor of "cheap insurance" but I never buy the "feel good" BS. I just don't see any real proof that trickle chargers are worth it. So I'm diving on this grenade and "abusing" my batteries to see what happens. Not really scientific, but it'll satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well, as I always say........."Life is full of choices":thumbup:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts