GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Inquisitive Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this should get some interesting responses. just replace my origianl battery on my 05'. a 6 year old battery with no issues, just figured it was time. how long have any others used theirs in the past. asking this now so i will have something to view when i get back from peru.

God bless.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My '05 is still on the original battery. I just purchased a replacement during the last HDL sale. It is on the shelf waiting.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Same here. I just replaced my 05's battery, but I wasn't having any issues with it. Just didn't want to stray too far from home on it. Made that mistake once on a different bike and lost a day of riding.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Battery

I have the original battery in my 02 wing with 84K....I started worrying about it a couple years ago and was going to replace it when I found the Argus Battery Bug which monitor's the battery's cranking amps and is a voltmeter. It's a great product & it shows my battery strength at 31% after all this time.

I'm headed to Rockies Gold (some 3K miles) with the original battery. I understand the battery only comes with a 6 month warranty. I got a good one.

Battery Bugs are available at my website.

Ron

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
+1 On the Battery Bug. won't be without one

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Replaced my 01 battery this year when the bike hit 100K miles. The battery bug still showed 25%. I always use a smart charger.
:thumbup:

·
Inquisitive Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all good to hear. glad i'm not the only one.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I waste money by replacing batteries about every other year. - cars and bikes. Arizona heat is bad on batteries. My luck is - batteries are great, then all of a sudden the bike will not start. This way I don't have to even think about batteries. I have a couple battery tenders but never use them because my bikes never sit more that two weeks max. The 2005 trike is on it's 3rd one and might get a new one in November. A dead battery on the road is no fun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had to replace mine on my 08 this summer. It was starting the bike OK but if you left they key on for a a bit with out running the battery would not start. I am not sure why this happened as I used a battery tend when I stored the bike. I did have the habit of using reverse to back up an inclined driveway in to my garage and then shutting the bike off. Could this have lft the battery in a low enough rate of charge to cause early failure of the battery? I don't know but now I drive into the garage and back out so the battery should have a full charge while sitting.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My '05 is till on the orignal battery. However, I bought a new one that's on the shelf in my garage untill I need it. My battery bug is telling me I still have 35% life left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts