GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been pricing batteries. The gel is almost twice the price of the acid and water type. Gel warranty is 2 years versus 1 for the acid type.

Will the gel give me almost twice the life? Any difference in performance between the 2? Thanks

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Let me ask you a question.

Do you want to have to check the battery? (Yes = Water)

Do you want to install it and forget about it? (Yes = Gel)

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
richard h said:

You dont have to check the water in the maintance batts in the gl1800.
The gel batts usely have CCA. Dont know about lasting twice as long i dought it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
OEM YUASA(spelling) most people get 4 years out of them and they run about 80 bucks from Hal..cant beat it

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
wimpyhonda said:
richard h said:

You dont have to check the water in the maintance batts in the gl1800.
The gel batts usely have CCA. Dont know about lasting twice as long i dought it.
If you try to save a few bucks by getting a conventional lead/acid battery, you will be checking the electrolyte level or it will eventually dry and stop working.

You can get a sealed or maintenance free battery that will cost more and not be concerned with checking electrolyte levels. If you don't have the ability to ride your GW most every day, then you might have concerns for long term storage on a battery maintainer.

Average GW battery life is 4 years. Some others are luckier and some are not. I ride mine to work all year and have gone past 4 years on my batteries in my bikes.

You can go right back to your Honda dealer and get another battery just like the one that came with your bike. That is the least that I would recommend. Some have upgraded their battery and that isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Regarding Gel cell batteries, here is what Stu_O says:

Stu_O said:
Waldo said:
Luv gel batteries.... same price....
In that case, you'll want to stay away from Westco, Yuasa, and every other known replacement battery for your Wing. With the exception of a battery sold by BMW for a few of their recent models, there are no Gel batteries made for motorcycles.

Stu
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopi ... ht=#585096

·
Registered
9,099 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Paul, I have had very good luck with the new Optima gel batteries that I install for my customers. I have not had to replace one yet. I cant say that about conventional batteries. Who mkaes a gel battery for our bikes? I would get a gel if it were available. They are made to handle much more abuse, you can install them upside down if you want, not that we would. LOL They are made to withstand charging and discharging much better also. I wish Optima made them for our bikes. Optima sales 3 types. Red and yellow for your car, the red being better. The bluse ones are for marine applications.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Toyo said:
Paul, I found this one. However Stu says that there are no gel batteries for the Wing. I am confused now.
Stu's statement was surely true at one time... and the time will come when it no longer is.

Perhaps that time has now come?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I think what is going on here is the confusing of a "GEL" battery with an "AGM" battery.

They are two different animals. They are both sealed Maintenance Free batteries but are of different internal designs. I don't have the exact difference in hand, perhaps someone knows how they actually differ?

About all I recall is the "AGM" and "GEL"design have similar advantages over the old wet cell batteries we all know and love, (not).

Each has its own good points and bad points, but in our world it appears the only battery widely available for the GL1800 are of the "AGM" type.

Dry cell batteries are new to me so I have no idea how they compare to AGM and GEL??

Arn't dry cell batteries used a lot in race cars due to their reduced weight??

The Westco battery being advertised by Wingstuff as a "GEL" battery is incorrect, it is an "AGM" battery. The same class (AGM) of battery that came in your GL1800 when new, The Yuasa YTX20L-BS, YTX20HL-BS, (Which appears to be the "Best Buy" for a GL1800).

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
from the link posted:

I need to correct a couple of things about the advertising for this battery.

It is NOT a GEL battery,

It is a AGM battery, same class of battery (different manufacturer) as the Yuasa battery that came in your GL1800.

It has a little more or even a little less capacity as the OEM Yuasa depending on which Yuasa you get:

Westco 12V20L AGM battery:
Voltage 12
Amp Hour 18
C.C.A.: 300

Yuasa YTX20HL-BS VRLA - Formerly referred to as AGM VRLA - Valve Regulated Lead Acid:
Voltage: 12
Amps: 1.8
C.C.A.: 310

Yuasa Battery YTX20L-BS
C.C.A.: 270
It is an AGM not a gel.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
markj said:
from the link posted:

I need to correct a couple of things about the advertising for this battery.

It is NOT a GEL battery,

It is a AGM battery, same class of battery (different manufacturer) as the Yuasa battery that came in your GL1800.

It has a little more or even a little less capacity as the OEM Yuasa depending on which Yuasa you get:

Westco 12V20L AGM battery:
Voltage 12
Amp Hour 18
C.C.A.: 300

Yuasa YTX20HL-BS VRLA - Formerly referred to as AGM VRLA - Valve Regulated Lead Acid:
C.C.A.: 310

Yuasa Battery YTX20L-BS
C.C.A.: 270
It is an AGM not a gel.
That was me "Kalbo", (tagalog for "baldhead", yes my wife does love me, she just likes to remind me of my lack of hair and her beautiful natural long black, not a single gray hair in sight, doo).

I just posted that "review" a little while ago after I saw the previous reference to Wingstuff ad causing some confusion as to "GEL" or "AGM".

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still undecided but I have a lot more info to base my decision on.

Thanks

G

·
barncobob said:
OEM YUASA(spelling) most people get 4 years out of them and they run about 80 bucks from Hal..cant beat it
My 02 original Yuasa battery was 4 years old this summer, and although it was working fine, I replaced it with a new OEM Yuasa (from Hal at HDL) just because we were going on a trip and I didn't want to chance a failure. My original 4+ year old battery is on the shelf as a backup, and it is still fine. I just put the charger on it once in a while. It holds a charge for weeks.

Hard to beat the OEM Yuasa IMHO. Maintenance free, and very reliable.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
Toyo said:
Paul, I found this one. However Stu says that there are no gel batteries for the Wing. I am confused now.
Stu's statement was surely true at one time... and the time will come when it no longer is.

Perhaps that time has now come?
No, that time hasn't yet come. Regardless of the verbiage on that web page, the Westco is a valve-regulated lead-acid battery just like the Yuasa. And those who think they're getting a "dry cell" with the Odyssey are also being taken in by ad hype.

Just FYI, the Gel batteries that BMW commisioned from Exide of Europe for some of their new bikes require the use of a special charger. Charging a true Gel battery to more than 14 volts ruins the consistency of the gelled electrolyte.

Stu

G

·
IBTrike said:
barncobob said:
My 02 original Yuasa battery was 4 years old this summer, and although it was working fine, I replaced it with a new OEM Yuasa (from Hal at HDL) just because we were going on a trip and I didn't want to chance a failure. My original 4+ year old battery is on the shelf as a backup, and it is still fine. I just put the charger on it once in a while. It holds a charge for weeks.

Hard to beat the OEM Yuasa IMHO. Maintenance free, and very reliable.

Ride safe.
And BTW, if you buy a battery from HDL, and add some other goodies like a couple of filters or whatever so you get the total order over $100, you get free shipping. Something to think about. Batteries are HEAVY.

When I bought my battery, I also bought a case of oil. Good prices and all shipped free of charge.

Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts