GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the battery replaced last April when it was two months old, after it had to be jumped twice after sitting overnight. Yes I have read all the things to do when shutting down.

What happened last night was different. Shut down as usual, making sure everything was off. This morning I went down and loaded all my luggage in the saddlebags and top case. Finished putting on my riding gear, mounted the bike (take that anyway you would like), turned my Garmin GPS on and it was booting up.

Turned the knob to start the bike and... nothing. No lights at all on the dash and no sound at all when I hit start. I'm 1900 miles from home and it's Sunday. Okay, no problem. Open the side case with the FOB and take the panel off. What! Now the cases won't open with the FOB. Okay, open the side case with the key, pull a panel and get a jump.

Not so fast. The key would not open the side case. The rear latch released, but the front one didn't. Pushing, pressing, pulling up, pushing down. push forward, push back, no luck. I had people help so they could turn the key while I tried every trick I could think of, with no luck. The rear latch would release every time, but the front latch never would.

Now, remember, I had fully loaded the bike. My computer, cell phone, manual and meds, were all locked in the bike. All I had was my riding gear. Did I mention It is Sunday?

I had tried opening the top case with the FOB many times with no luck. Not surprised when it appeared the battery was very low. Turned the knob on still no luck. Tried everything again at 2:15pm and the cases all unlocked using the FOB. Whew! Still no luck with starting of course, but at least I have cloths, meds and my phone.

Didn't think of it at the time, but I should have taken off the side panel while the case was open to make it easier to jump it in the morning. Tomorrow I will take it to a dealer and have the battery charged and checked. I don't want to be on the road with a possibly defective battery.

Now the reason for this post: make sure your key will open the side case!

·
Registered
316 Posts
When I took delivery of the bike the dealer was showing how to open the case/start the bike using the key, and the left case wouldn't open. Turns out that one of the cables needed adjusting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts