GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a battery bug device drain a battery when connected directly to a battery?

Second question: I placed a battery tender on a battery and it came to full charge (green light). Rode the bike one day and came back home and placed tender on battery after riding. The charge light has stayed on and never gone back to a full charge reading. (green light). Light just stays on charging (amber light). What is up with this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I might drain a battery after a few weeks , but if you keep a tender on it then it would be good. Your battery tender might be defective. When I plug mine in after riding, it turns solid red then blinks green for a while before going solid green. This usually takes less than an hour.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The electronics on the GW is constantly drawing power from the battery, even when off. If left unattended for long enough even a new battery will go dead.
So your battery bug is only another drain.
As far the battery tender not showing a full charge. Could be tender is not working correctly, as has been mentioned, or battery could be going bad.
Tender could be telling you battery will not come up to full charge.
How old is battery?
Though even new batteries can and do go bad.
Especially Wally world batteries. Gotten a lot of free batteries from Wally world, in fact I hear they have changed their warrinty policy now.
Do not run wally world batteries in my wing.

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
I know many use a battery tender to "maintain" their battery when not being rode. To me they give false hope. There is nothing worst then beleiving your battery is good when leaving just to find a "no turn over" situation away from home. If you store your Wing for a length of time where you think a battery charge is needed, do it according to the owners manual ... Index > storage.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
I would get a voltmeter and check the battery voltage with the tender connected and then disconnected. One of 2 things has a problem, the battery is going south, or the tender is broken or had a brain fart. Keep in mind the tenders work by monitoring the batteries' voltage, so they are easily fooled.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I will keep an eye on things and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts