GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an accessory port BMW plug/pig tail (on other end). I use this port/plug for my passenger Gerbrings, Slime air compressor and Battery Tender.

Is it possible to wire my new Battery Bug to a pig tail plug then plug it in to my accessory port, start the bike to get the reading then unplug and be on my way? I have yet to figure out a good way to mount the Battery Bug permanently without it looking cheezy so I thought I might utilize my accessory port for another gadget.

I figure I could check the battery using this method weekly or Monthly and that would be good enough to keep an eye on life of my battery?

Thank you for any input,
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Yes, you can. I have this plug that I bought at Radio Shack. It has spring loaded + and - terminals. I use it for testing or charging other equipment on my bench.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3806057

I also have a battery bug and have it stuck to the saddle bag of my 07 Goldwing just above where you show your plug. I have it connected directly to the battery (as per instructions) so that I can keep track of the decline of the battery as time goes by as well as the voltage at anytime in case the alternator or voltage regulator starts to fail.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
437 Posts
battery bug

I am a mechanic and the battery bug needs to be connected directly to the battery to work properly, you cannot get the percentage reading when cranking the motor since all accessories are cut off from current when cranking, this reading is what you get when you load test a battery, used by all mechanics to test batteries to judge their condition I hope this helps. feel free to pm me if you have more questions

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I talked to Gerbing this week about a connection from their connector off the battery to a charger for my helmet battery i.e. cell phone battery and they said they have an adapter for their plug to fit the battery tender if your other Gerbing plug is available.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a mechanic and the battery bug needs to be connected directly to the battery to work properly, you cannot get the percentage reading when cranking the motor since all accessories are cut off from current when cranking, this reading is what you get when you load test a battery, used by all mechanics to test batteries to judge their condition I hope this helps. feel free to pm me if you have more questions
Thanks, this is what I was wondering about. Thanks to Grandpawinger and dwatc also, however, it seems my idea is a mute point as the battery bug has to be hard wired directly to battery.

I would be interested in any photos of Battery Bug installations. I don't really want to cut any Tupperware and want the install as clean as possible.

Thanks again, Dan

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I plug mine into the same plug for the battery tender

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I gutted mine and cut it into the opening where the Goldwing badge is located, but it's not for the faint of heart :)

·
Registered
584 Posts

Here is where I put mine. Put it on a switch that is located inside the right glove box to reset it if I need to.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice work you two :thumbup:

I put mine on my new 2012 Goldwing and at first crank, it read 79%, a few days of riding and now it's reading 64% and has not changed from this. How can the battery decline so quickly.

Mine's connected directly to the battery and mounted just above the brake reservoir.

·
Registered
267 Posts

I put mine on my new 2012 Goldwing and at first crank, it read 79%, a few days of riding and now it's reading 64% and has not changed from this. How can the battery decline so quickly.

Mine's connected directly to the battery and mounted just above the brake reservoir.
Would like to see a pic on that, I will be using battery bug when I get my bike.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I gutted mine and cut it into the opening where the Goldwing badge is located, but it's not for the faint of heart :)

Thats a real clean install. You wouldn't happen to have pictures of it during the process would you? Did you just use epoxy or double sided tape to attach the bug to the underside of the shelter?

·
Registered
263 Posts
My Battery Bug Setup

This is how I did Mine -- added a Momentary Re-Set Push Button Switch above the Motorcycle battery in the Negative Lead

Attachments

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I put mine on my new 2012 Goldwing and at first crank, it read 79%, a few days of riding and now it's reading 64% and has not changed from this. How can the battery decline so quickly. ....
HOW you connect it to the battery is important. Apparently, you need to disconnect it for a while and then re-connect it to get a clean start. If you fumble with it during the connection phase it sees these voltage drops as problems with the battery, which they were not.

Also, to be truly effective, the Battery Bug needs to be left connected to the battery. It does not need to be installed in plain view, but can be put in an out-of-the-way place where it is still not too hard to check occasionally.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

It sounds like the dealer did not fully charge the battery, after adding the acid, when they set your bike up for delivery to you.

After adding the acid to a battery a person is supposed to wait for an hour or so and then charge the battery, uncapped, for a few more hours at 2 amps or a much shorter time at 10 amps. The battery voltage should be checked from time to time and the charging stopped somewhere near 14 volts. Caution against overcharging. Over 16 volts and you may fry the battery.

I put a new battery in my 07 Wing a few weeks ago after charging it that way and it still registers 97% on the Battery Bug.

If you unhook the Battery Bug and then fully charge the battery it will reset itself and probably say 100% after the first crank and then start to very slightly decline.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks, this is what I was wondering about. Thanks to Grandpawinger and dwatc also, however, it seems my idea is a mute point as the battery bug has to be hard wired directly to battery.

I would be interested in any photos of Battery Bug installations. I don't really want to cut any Tupperware and want the install as clean as possible.

Thanks again, Dan
How about in the trunk. Just open it and look when you want to see battery bug. Mine is installed in the trunk and ran the wires thru the exsisting nav system hole and rubber boot directly to the battery. Not sure about a non nav model, but I would think there is way to run the harness.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How about in the trunk. Just open it and look when you want to see battery bug. Mine is installed in the trunk and ran the wires thru the exsisting nav system hole and rubber boot directly to the battery. Not sure about a non nav model, but I would think there is way to run the harness.
I mounted mine on the trunk lid liner, just above where 08WIwing did. On the vertical part along side a mounting screw. Drilled a small hole in the liner right alongside the bug to get the wire inside the liner. There is an always hot wire in there that I have an E.C. accessory plug and trunk light kit plugged into. Tapped into it. Works good. Can see it every time I open the trunk. Trunk light shines on it at night. Works for me.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I installed my Battery Bug in the trunk also. I mounted it on the left side wall of the trunk near the front wall. I used the same path that the CB antenna uses to go from the trunk under the seat. I then used hook/loop fastener to attach the Bug to the trunk wall. I glance at it every now and then but if I ever turn the bike off and hear it beeping, then I know I need to pay attention to it.

A similar routing option is available on the right side of the trunk where the radio antenna is routed.

I also didn't like that the Battery Bug is not fused. I added a small inline fuse to the bug just after it's hook up to the battery. Not sure why the manufacturer didn't fuse the device but my attempts at getting a response from them on the subject have been met with silence. So I decided better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really like the trunk idea. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think I will go that way also.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts