GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a battery bug, My current battery is 4 years old, I keep it on a maintainer over the winter but being 4 yrs old I was wondering how strong it was. When I herd about the battery bug I bought and just installed it the first start showed 98% I wont feel confident in that number till I have several starts but at least I wont worry that my battery will crap out soon. At some point I will change out the battery. The new Lithium Iron battery shows lots of promise but if this battery keeps running strong then I will hang on to it for a while that way all the bugs will be worked out of the shorai lithium batterys

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have the latest Argus Battery Bug. The one with the wire coming out only one side of the bug instead of both sides.

I have an 07 Wing with the OEM battery and 13,000 miles on the bike.

The black and red wires must be connected directly to the battery....in other words the Bug must be "hot" at all times in order to compare data with previous starts.

My experience is kind of strange in that I installed it 2 or 3 months ago and the first reading was 87% then worked it's way down to 67% after a month or so of riding. Yesterday I unhooked it and mounted it on the front of the left saddlebag and the last 4 starts showed the battery at 98% but this morning I rode 100 miles with 3 starts and the Wing is in the garage showing 95%. The last segment of the ride was 40 miles non stop.

I think that it is time to take the battery to an auto parts store and have a load test done.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do not get your panties in a wad over the percentages shown. The voltages is the one to watch. The percentages just show what the percentage bwas on the weakest start. If you had left your key on for a few minutes at some time , it will show that low percentage . Until you disconnect it for a time and reconnect it. Until it shows 10% , do not worry about it.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I installed mine a couple of yrs ago. Installed hot to the battery. Battery is on a Battery Tender most of the time. It stayed at 80+ % for a year, then started to slowly go down. Fastest drop is in the winter time for my 06. About 6 weeks ago it was down to 27% and the bikes balked at starting a few times. I had to hit the starter button a couple of times for it to start.
I already had a battery ready to condition and install, so I changed it. Now the Bug says 100% for the past 6 weeks. I never get much more than 3 or 4 yrs out of any battery in any vehicle down here in the heat.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I installed mine a couple of yrs ago. Installed hot to the battery. Battery is on a Battery Tender most of the time. It stayed at 80+ % for a year, then started to slowly go down. Fastest drop is in the winter time for my 06. About 6 weeks ago it was down to 27% and the bikes balked at starting a few times. I had to hit the starter button a couple of times for it to start.
I already had a battery ready to condition and install, so I changed it. Now the Bug says 100% for the past 6 weeks. I never get much more than 3 or 4 yrs out of any battery in any vehicle down here in the heat.

You did it right. There is no way in hell that I would let a battery get down to 10% before I would replace it. That would be PLAIN STUPID I will replace mine if it gets down to 40% with the one I have on the shelf that needs the acid to be added and a few hours of charge.

And I don't wear panties and never ever had my skivvies get into a wad.

:thumbup:

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
You will typically see the percentage number drop after you do a start on a cold day, simply because the battery isn't up to temp and has a harder time producing current. The Battery Bug stores the lowest reading and that is what it reads out. You have to disconnect it for about 10 seconds to erase the saved setting in memory.

Every time I go up into the mountains and park the bike overnight and then come out and start it in the morning in 30-40 degree temps, my percentage number drops at least 10 points or more.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I use a battery tender during the winter months or when I know I won't be riding for several weeks. Load test my battery at the local auto parts place every spring to give me an idea of how it is doing, and other than a voltmeter wired into the system really don't worry about it.

When I have the bike on accessory while washing it and listening to the radio, I can monitor the battery voltage. If the battery is getting weaker - less reserve capacity it will show as an excessive voltage drop. Then it is time to re-load test and possibly replace.

Battery bugs, in my opinion, are one of those sort-of-nice-to-have-but-not-really-necessary type of items. It won't protect or warn you for one of those occasional sudden cell failures, but no method will. It will however help to show the steady decline that all batteries have, and help to give you an idea of "will my battery last through my next trip without the need of me pulling it and taking it in for a load test."

The bug does not take the place of performing a load test, which I think is a good idea to do at the start of the riding season. Its monitoring function does sort of work like a load tester, with the load being the starter draw and it monitoring the battery voltage during the start. But it is easy enough to pull the battery and take it in for a load test and get the extra peace of mind.

I do have to agree with Grampawinger - letting the bug get down to 10% before replacing the battery is stupid. It may have been okay when the wings still had a kick starter like my old one, but I sure wouldn't go that low :eek:4:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts