GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is carrying a charger on a tour worth its space? The 2018 DCT will be ridden hundreds of miles every day, presumably with a properly functioning alternator and clean and tight connections, so I'm wondering how likely it is that a battery charger would be useful.

I could bring my old Sears charger/tender (6x2x3") with a 2-amp setting, and can run it direct to the battery. An extension cord to reach a 110 VAC outlet would also be needed.

My standard outfit includes a StarkPower battery, which started the Wing at the end of last summer's AK trip (poor maintenance, corrosion at terminals) AND a Toyota pickup (7-year-old battery, sitting for months during the motorcycle ride). It's not a charger, but the only two times I've used it, it fired up the motors immediately.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Is carrying a charger on a tour worth its space? The 2018 DCT will be ridden hundreds of miles every day, presumably with a properly functioning alternator and clean and tight connections, so I'm wondering how likely it is that a battery charger would be useful.

I could bring my old Sears charger/tender (6x2x3") with a 2-amp setting, and can run it direct to the battery. An extension cord to reach a 110 VAC outlet would also be needed.

My standard outfit includes a StarkPower battery, which started the Wing at the end of last summer's AK trip (poor maintenance, corrosion at terminals) AND a Toyota pickup (7-year-old battery, sitting for months during the motorcycle ride). It's not a charger, but the only two times I've used it, it fired up the motors immediately.
In a word, no. A 2018. MAYBE in 3 or 4 years. Maybe. But, you almost would have certainly gotten a new battery at the 4 year mark anyway. Even though my batteries are on trickle chargers EVERY time I'm off the bike in my garage, I buy a new battery every 4 years at the most. Could I get more life out of them ?? Maybe. But, why would you want to chance having the bike not start ?? You wouldn't. A few extra bucks. So what.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carrying one of those small battery jumpers would be a better move...plus you can charge your cell phone and headsets with them too.
Roadie, it sounds as if your "small battery jumpers" include my StarkPower "intelligent lithium ion battery" outfit. It includes connectors for phone/headset.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
I did a three week trip last year and taking along a charger didn’t even enter into the planning for the trip.

:doorag:

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Ours never see a battery maintainer except when they are taking their long winter nap.

iirc, the owners manual talks about topping battery up after 30 days.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
My jumper pack is always charged and in the bike, not only for myself, but just in case a switch gets left on, a friend’s (or strangers) battery takes a dump, or just to charge something in case my oldheimer’s kicks in and I forget.... doesn’t hurt to give that few square inches up....

Enjoy the ride!!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
In a word, no. A 2018. MAYBE in 3 or 4 years. Maybe. But, you almost would have certainly gotten a new battery at the 4 year mark anyway. Even though my batteries are on trickle chargers EVERY time I'm off the bike in my garage, I buy a new battery every 4 years at the most. Could I get more life out of them ?? Maybe. But, why would you want to chance having the bike not start ?? You wouldn't. A few extra bucks. So what.
I really don't subscribe to changing a battery every 4 years whether it need it or not. Even new batteries can fail, evident by numerous post on the 18 board. I've had 2 batteries replaced in vehicles that had not even gotten to the prorated portion of the warranty. Yes if they are showing signs of weakness or deterioration, replace them. But I just don't see replacing a good battery simply because it's a few years old. I got 12 years out of one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If you get into the habit of turning everything OFF when you stop the bike, and you run the bike every day, then a charger is not necessary. However, if you are one of those guys who like to park the bike and let the radio play, then take a charger along.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts