GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an OEM battery from HDL to replace my existing OEM battery.

Once I fill the battery with the acid, should I but the battery on a charger or will my battery tender do the trick? The bike will be sitting for a few more weeks due to winter being in the way of my riding.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Important, to install the electrolyte and let the soak process do it's thing. Generally 1/2 hour to 1 hour.

Then bring the battery to a 100% charge prior to installing battery.

This whole process is called initializing the battery.

The tender will work, however the Tender Jr. at .75 o 3/4 amps is not the recommended voltage. If you have the 1.25 amp tender, it will go faster for you and be closer to the recommended initial charging amps.

Bulldog

·
Registered
640 Posts
The service manager at my dealer said not to use a battery maintainer to initialize a battery because it goes into float mode as soon as it senses a full charge.
It's best to follow the instructions that came with the battery, which I think says to charge for about 9 hrs at 1.5 amps?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yuasa and most battery manufacturers recommend a FULL charge before the battery is used. HDL has a great video on how to fill and get battery ready.
I fill and let sit for 1-2 hours, put the caps on and charge at 2 amps with a standard battery charger for about 8 hours. Winter months I use a Tender
Here is a great link to Yuasa's web site.
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/allabout.asp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts