GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
My 2016 gl1800 is getting weak. What batteries do you guys have best results out of? Thanks
I LIKE A DEKA ALL ARE AROUND 310 CCA BUT 2 THINGS I LIKE THE MOST.
1. BATTERY POST ARE DIRECT BOLT ON { NO LITTLE SLIDE NUT IN A POST}
2. NO NEED TO POUR ACID TO GET THINGS STARTED { REALIZE ABOUT BATTERY LIFE} AND PLATES ARE PROTECTED / SEPARATED WITH FIBER GLASS PADS IN BATTERY ACID. {BETTER FOR VIBRATION LIKE THE WING HAS ANY LOL:kiss:FLAME SUIT ON}

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I like the Yuasa as mentioned a few posts ago. For info, the BS in the part number means bottle supplied, so it comes with an acid pack you add yourself, then the plates absorb the acid, then you must charge at about 2a for several hours. These seem to last longer than what they put in later models with the FA part number, which means comes factory activated and pre charged ready to install.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
AGM- absorbed gas mat. They are sealed and won’t spill or leak. Well, unless you damage it (crash, misuse somehow). Other than that, shop to your hearts content.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
AGM- absorbed gas mat. They are sealed and won’t spill or leak. Well, unless you damage it (crash, misuse somehow). Other than that, shop to your hearts content.
Both the (Yuasa's) YTX20L and the GYZ20L are AGM batteries.

This includes the -BS model of the YTX, which is 'sealed' after fluid added at time of initialization.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I've had tremendous success with Yuasa batteries in motorcycles, so I'm partial to them. I've also used Deka batteries in cars, and have found them to be of good quality, but have never used their motorcycle battery.

·
Registered
802 Posts
For the last several years I have a great service from AGM batteries made in the USA by East Penn Mfg. They manufacture batteries, all with the same specs and design, and sold under many different labels including Deka and the store brands for NAPA, O'Reilly's, Autozone, Advanced, etc... The ones I'm using were mail ordered from battermart.com under their label of Big Crank (ETX-20L). 12 Volt / 17.5 Ah / 310 CCA

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
So many ways to answer such a loaded question!

My 2016 gl1800 is getting weak. What batteries do you guys have best results out of? Thanks
Clarify your phrase "best results", please?

Are you after longest lasting, highest cranking capacity, prettiest packaging :mrgreen:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Right now minimal accessories (just what came with the GW), but if I add three 12-volt outlets (to power radar detector, GoPro, and/or heated clothing), do I have to make any adjustments to battery or alternator? I would like to add two to the fairing and one in the rear for the spouse.

Also, is there an issue with the adapters which convert one 12-volt outlet to two USB ports?

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Right now minimal accessories (just what came with the GW), but if I add three 12-volt outlets (to power radar detector, GoPro, and/or heated clothing), do I have to make any adjustments to battery or alternator? I would like to add two to the fairing and one in the rear for the spouse.
No.

Also, is there an issue with the adapters which convert one 12-volt outlet to two USB ports?
Like these?

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Mo...SB+-micro&qid=1564085314&s=electronics&sr=1-7

I have three of them on my bike now...zero issues...well...

All of mine are single-output port to make certain the converter doesn't need to work so hard. One for my cell phone, one for my GoPro, one just added for my wife's recharging needs (tablet or phone)

·
Registered
51 Posts

When your engine is running, the power for your motorcycle and any other equipment on the bike is supplied by the alternator, not the battery. During normal operation the battery is only used for starting.

The battery is wired in parallel with the alternator. A fully charged battery will measure 12.6 volts with the engine off and little or no load. When the engine is running, the alternator will supply about 13.8 to 14.2 volts to the electrical system. This slightly higher voltage will recharge the battery after starting.

What you need to determine is that you don't draw more power from the alternator than it can supply. In the case of the Goldwing, it has a large alternator to supply power for accessories in addition to the bikes needs.

One thing to watch for is not to wire your accessories directly to the battery. If you shut off the bike, accessories will be drawing power from the battery. It is best to wire your accessories to an accessory port on the fuse box that is switched. In other words, a relay is closed to energize the accessories only when the ignition is switched on.

A USB adapter would probably not be much of a load on the system. Most charge devices at a 1 amp rate, a high power USB charger will supply a 2.1 amp charge rate.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My vote for a No. 1 battery would be Yuasa AGM

Just a thought:: It would be a good idea when adding accessories that you also install, a VOLT or AMP meter. Some USB dual output ports have voltmeter built in the unit, very inexpensive.

My vote for a No. 1 battery would be Yuasa AGM

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Check out out a Deka battery manufactured right here in the USA by East Penn manufacturing.

"A private, family-owned company operating
the largest single-site, lead battery
manufacturing facility in the world."

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/
East Penn is also making the Duracell brand for both auto and motorcycle. When I had a battery issue I picked one up at Sam's Club for 99.62 with trade in of old battery.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-agm-12v-powersport-all-weather-battery/prod21427594

1 - 20 of 29 Posts