GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have 1st hand knowledge of how much of an impact leaving your Garmin 2610 turned on lets say while taking a 30 minute lunch break while on a road trip? I want to leave it one to maintain logged information, including stopped time etc.

I don't want to make a big mistake on my upcoming trip to Daytona in a couple of weeks and find myself stranded with a dead battery.

Thanks!
David

·
Registered
824 Posts
The 2610 should be no different than the Color Map or III. I've left both of them on overnight after I've gotten home from a long day ride. Never has been a problem. Once I turn on the GPS, I don't turn it off until I get back to the house. I do cover it with my helmet when I'm away from the bike in an attempt to keep inquisitive minds and hands away!

·
Registered
221 Posts
According to the specs at Garmin, the power consumption is 6 watts max @ 13.8 Vdc. Since I=W/V the Amperage drain is .43 amps. So leaving it on for 30-60 min shouldn't run your battery down. Leaving it on overnight may be a different story if your battery is not too new.

·
Registered
759 Posts
you wont lose any of your logged information even if you turn the unit off. that information stays until you reset for the next trip..so dont worry about losing your information...leaving it on for 30 minutes is not a problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll second what Orangebandit said, even putting my helmet over it and parking where I can see the bike while eating. I have a Westco battery that is about 4 years old and it still handles having the sp3 left on while eating.

I believe the only thing effected by turning the GPS off would be the overall average speed which includes stopped time.

·
Registered
759 Posts
no settings are affected if you turn off the gps...only way to be affected is if you reset the gps...then all values zero out.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
If the 2610 works the same as the V and SPIII, the GPS timers stop while the unit is turned off and then restart where they left off when you turn it back on. It was pretty dumb to design it that way

.43 amps is actually quite a bit. But that is max with the backlighting turned on. I measured the current draw on my SPIII and the draw was only 150ma when the backlight was off. Think about it. If it will run for hours on AA batteries, what is it going to do to a big motorcycle battery?

Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts