GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On several occasions my 2004 wing has not been run for 2-3 weeks. Then, when I tried to start it it would not turn over without the help of a battery charger. Upon starting and running for a while the battery performs fine.

My Valk can sit for a month and still start.

Do I have a bad battery?? Do you think Honda properly initializes the batteries they install in new bikes?? Is something draining the battery??

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The 1800 does have a battery drain. Mostly the computer causes this. It's best to keep the 1800 on a battery maintainer if you are not going to ride it for more than a week. After that you should be happy if it starts on it's own.

G

·
Hi Shooter:

There is a slight drain from the computer, but it is very small. I think your battery should hold up longer than 3 weeks if it was fully charged when you stopped running the bike. I know mine will and it is the original 02 sealed Yuasa battery.

As Ed says, a little 1 amp trickle charger would keep it up.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Shooter,
Have you added a directly wired cigarette lighter? I know from experience that a lighter can drain the battery. This happens when the lighter is exposed to rain. The rust will create a complete circuit.

Your battery should hold a charge for more than 2-3 weeks. If you can measure the drain current, I will measure mine for comparison. Let me know.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Agree

Actually, I agree about the drain on the 1800 battery. Leave it for a month and the power level will be down so that the computer will not allow the started to crank. I know several folks that have the same thing. Normally, that is not a problem for me as I am able to get the bike out every few weeks, even in the winter. My Valk can sit for a couple of months and the battery is fine -- no computer-no drain. So, I picked up a battery tender (Yausa version) and hook it up when the bike has set for a couple of weeks. Nature of the beast!!!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have a digital volt meter on my bike and it drops steadily if the bike sits without the Battery Tender connected. In 2 weeks mine will drop from 12.8 to 12.3. 12.5 or less is an undercharged battery. Even if it starts it will need to be ridden for a long time to fully charge the battery. Idling in the drive way will not do it. It's also not good for the life of the battery to let it drop that low.

G

·
12.3 volts is an underharged battery? amazing. I would thing just temp changes would account for a voltage variant. :caesar:

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
my bike can sit for a month without any charging and it still starts just like it does when riden everyday. The 2001 I had earlier was the same,always started fine. I would be suspecting a bad battery or something draining your good battery, if something is draining the battery hooking up a battery maintainer will probably help but it would be much better to find the cause and eliminate it.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
cycledude said:
my bike can sit for a month without any charging and it still starts just like it does when riden everyday. The 2001 I had earlier was the same,always started fine. I would be suspecting a bad battery or something draining your good battery, if something is draining the battery hooking up a battery maintainer will probably help but it would be much better to find the cause and eliminate it.
I have to agree, mine can sit for a long time.

I do know that if a new battery is not fully charged at no more than a 10th of it's amp/hour rating before being used it's life will be shortened. A lot of shops just take them out of the box, dump in acid (if required) and put them in the bike, or put them on a high amp charger. I had a few batteries done that way in the past. They'd only last for a year or two. Once I started charging them slowly and completely before installation, they lasted 4-5 years.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Both of ours can go 6 weeks & start just fine. My friends can not go more then 2 weeks & it won't start. The local dealer can't find anything wrong with it. It is strange how this happens.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had to replace the OEM battery on my 1800 after a little over a year and I do lots of riding. I measured the drain to be less than 25 milliamps - not enough to drain a battery.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I'll agree with Quickdraw on this one, chances are your battery was not properly setup at the beginning and placed on a charger after the battery acid was added. The battery can and will run right off the bat without charging, but it never achieves 100% of it's potential or life if the full charge is not applied. Regretably, it's often a quick and fast way out on the initial setup that doesn't come to light until down the road. It's also probably a job that is given to someone who may not know better so that too is lost in the rush.

Case in point was when I got my Wing home from the dealer on the very first day of ownership and when I went to restart my Wing a short time later the engine would not even turn over. Sure the bike could have been on the floor for sometime prior to my purchasing it, but the setup at time of purchase should have included a proper battery setup. Oh well, I got a new battery under warranty and set it up myself with the charge. Although through the years I have learned a battery will go out when you least expect it so I have a new battery (without the acid in it) sitting on my garage shelf to be put into action when needed down the road.

DaleC

G

·
Our 03 Silverwing Scooter has been stored in the garage since it got cold last Fall here in MI. Garage is not heated but is insulated and does not freeze. I had disconnected the cable from the battery but left it in the bike and I just went out to reconnect it because it is sold and being picked up tomorrow. The batt is over 12 volts and started the bike right up. It is a gel cell batt.

Being disconnected there was no drain of course. Gel cells are noted for holding a charge for a long time.

Just an FYI.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My wing :rw1: has not been started since last December '03. :yes: Went out to the garage just now, pulled the cover off my '02 and pushed the button, :clap2: fired in first shot. :yes:

:luck: :rw1: :luck:

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2002, purchased last June, now has 6000 miles on it. It sits in an unheated building in middle mississippi. On one occasion this winter it sat for 3 weeks without being started, when I did start it, it moaned a bit then fired over. Bought a battery tender jr!!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since its a sealed battery you can't take a specific gravity reading. A voltage check is our only "test" to check the battery health.

You need to start out with a fully charged battery so:

Charge the battery with the negative or positive connections removed from the bike. Charge the battery at no higher than 1.5 - 1.8 amps for 8 hours.

After charging let the battery sit for 1 hour.
Using a digital voltmeter measure the batteries open voltage.
12.8 - 13.2 battery is 100%.
12.4 - 12.7 battery is 75%
11.9 - 12.3 battery is 50%
11.5 - 11.8 battery is 25%
below 11.5 battery is 0

Voltages are typical but will give you a ballpark view of the batteries condition. Voltages taken from Yuasa Tech Manual: http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechMan.pdf

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
To test for a drain remove the side cover (battery side that is) and dis-connect the negative cable, next place a test light (12 volt found at any auto parts store) in line with the cable one end on the cable terminal and the other on the negative post of the battery, is the light lit? if it is then you will need to have access to the fuse panel, remove fuses 1 at a time until you find the one that shuts off the lite, that will be the circuit that is drawing the battery. Use the elect schematic to trace the components that are on this circuit then put the fuse in (verify the lite is on) and dis connect each component in the circuit until you find the one that turns off the lite, shouldnt be too hard to find. Good luck

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Seems since I installed the commandor xm, my battery seems to drain down fast. A week without a charger was the time needed before the charger would activate. Now two days it takes a charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts