GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search for any links but nothing maybe i have the wrong wording but which power pack do you carry on your bike?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Mine is made by Aukey. I've used it about a 1/2 dozen times jumping a couple of Goldwings and some lawn mowers and it works fine. Not sure where it came from as it was a Christmas gift but I'm satisfied with it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I carry the XP-5 Anti-Gravity model in my wing. It's jumped one bike, two cars, three trucks and charged my phone and tablet on two occasions when the power went out. Love it. These take overnight to fully charge it seems but once they are you only need to plug them in once every 3-6 months to give them a little boost. Mine seems to hold it's charge very well land I check it about every 3 months of not used.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have never carried one in 36 yrs of riding. Never needed one. Why do you guys feel the need to have one? I'm interested in why... not judging at all:)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I have never carried one in 36 yrs of riding. Never needed one. Why do you guys feel the need to have one? I'm interested in why... not judging at all:)

If you ride with friends that own Harley's, you'll need one. :wink2:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

I don't feel a need to own one. The wife bought mine for a Christmas gift. I did leave the acc switch on once on the trike and killed the battery the other Goldwing I jumped the guy's wife had her heated gear on with an old battery and ran it down. Neither time did I need it for a fault of the motorcycle just the fault of the operator and passenger.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

I have had my wing fail to start in the middle of nowhere and found push starting is possible but of it's fully loaded it is difficult. Granted it was my oversight, I had left the key in run not accessory while refilling my coffee and snacking on a sandwich. I hadn't walked around the front or realized all my lights were on killing my battery. It won't likely happen again, but you never know when that battery may give out, or you can assist a charming young lass who needs a jump. I have few Harley friends, but I stop for the stranded quite often.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I carry one just in case. Some guys replace the battery every 3 or 4 years. I never replace my battery until it goes bad. Still original 08 battery. Having the jump box makes extending battery life beyond recommended interval possible. I got the box at Interstate Batteries for $70 or so. Any box should work just fine in a pinch.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I wonder if one would start a dead 2018 after the oop’s of leaving the ignition on. Might be something the new bike guys could use more than me (the old bike group).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I wonder if one would start a dead 2018 after the oop’s of leaving the ignition on. Might be something the new bike guys could use more than me (the old bike group).
I started an F-150 on two occasions, I imagine that's plenty. I've not had to jump mine since I bought this device, lol.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Bought mine at Costco. Portable and powerful. I believe they are now on sale for $50. Jumped my son's car and it worked on a first try.
Highly recommended. Hopefully you won't need one ever....but if you (or somebody you are helping) do, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have this one on order:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFQMB63/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had them before and they worked well on other bike I helped jump start on the road. Lowes had them in the past for around $65 but I no longer see them "in store".
The only scary thing is the lithium ion batteries have a bad reputation for starting hot fires in the past. Maybe the issue has been lessened :shrug: .
Anyway when I see the pack puffed-up I replace as I don't really like the idea of being on the hotseat :eek:4:.
The packs do carry lots of short term amps but do not store long term use energy so they are OK for jumping starting vehicles and charging small items like phones but won't last long as a bike battery substitute because of short time high energy output.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ordered one today. Been waiting, wife asked what I wanted for Christmas, and this was part of my response.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Having one, even if YOU don't need it, can make one a very popular fellow now and then. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I’ve got the XP-10 Anti-Gravity. Works well. Can jump start 5 cars plus more on one charge.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I carry the XP-5 Anti-Gravity model in my wing. It's jumped one bike, two cars, three trucks and charged my phone and tablet on two occasions when the power went out. Love it. These take overnight to fully charge it seems but once they are you only need to plug them in once every 3-6 months to give them a little boost. Mine seems to hold it's charge very well land I check it about every 3 months of not used.

:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have the one from costco. I carry it either in my truck or if traveling on the Wing or 650. I have never needed it.... BUT I have jumped a bunch of cars and pickups including my buddy rig and his wife's rig after giving me crap for "buying that silly thing" When on the cycles tent camping I power my cpap off the bikes battery and if needed I can jump it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
1 - 20 of 99 Posts