GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting problem when I tried to leave for home after seeing a movie. The bike turned over then everything went dead. First thought was the main fuse failed. Got off the bike and found some accessory lights on even though the key was off. Weird . . .

Checked the main fuse and it was OK so put it back together with the idea of calling AAA and tried the bike, it started and I rode home. :thumbup:

Got home, turned it off then tried to start it and I had a dead bike. Decided to check the battery and as I removed the terminal bolts I noticed a gap between the cable connector and the terminal. It seems the battery's plastic body prevented the cable end from completely flattening itself to the battery terminal so when I tightened it I was able to deform the cable end so it touched but leaving the gap. Dirt and stuff got into the gap and I think that caused the problem.

I cleaned the terminals and cable ends and placed the ground eye connector (like a thin washer) in-between the terminal and cable end. The bike starts and all lights are working. Now to remember to check the "Sealed" battery when doing service to the bike, even though it a sealed battery.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Never install anything between the battey post and the bikes main cables to them. All additional wiring should go between main cables and bolt head.

Looks like you have the "wrong" battery in there. That does not appear to be a stock honda battery.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I know but when the battery casing prevents the cable end from completely connecting this works as a temporary fix until I figure our how to modify the cable to fit the battery terminal. It's a sealed battery from WingStuff specifically for all the Goldwings.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Yuasa is the "correct" battery for the wing.

True, there are several batteries that are similar in size, but few are designed just for the wing. I think you have one of those or you would not have a fitment issue.

If I was not going to change the battery, I would put the biggest washer that will fit where you have the spade terminal, then relocate the spade to where it should be.

You have put your machine in a bind by minimizing the ground at the battery. The bike are notorious for having grounding issues. Please change it as soon as you can.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used an insulated ring terminal which is just like a washer. The battery is a sealed WestCo and I've use them for years without a problem. This battery is just bad at the negative terminal. Either that or the negative cable end's hole is not in the right place.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I mean a wide washer - that little ring terminal is a bottleneck in your electrical system.

Then again if I knew I was going to continue to use that battery I would modify the end of the negative cable to fit the battery and no more "rigging" would be needed.

Your machine... do what you want but you're putting the system under strain.

·
Registered
17,123 Posts
Resolve the accessory on with key off issue.

Nothing wrong with using a non yuasa battery so long as you select the correct model for size, capacity, and terminal location. Yuasa makes more than one model that fits fine and many that won’t do at all. Wing Stuff may need to get their act together.

If you must use a spacer between the terminal surface and the cable end, avoid dissimilar metals as much as you can. An auto parts store should have tinned “star washers” that help establish and maintain contact without being so prone to corrosion. The surfaces need to be cleaned to bright fresh metal and once assembled, coated with a water resistant grease.

prs

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used an insulated ring terminal which is just like a washer. The battery is a sealed WestCo and I've use them for years without a problem. This battery is just bad at the negative terminal. Either that or the negative cable end's hole is not in the right place.

On the SVR batteries, there is a small brass spacer that goes between the terminal and cable. They come attached to a red cap wit the bolts.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Battery Lesson

Well, VanillaGorilla beat me to it, I was typing when he posted.

The SVR battery sold by Wing Stuff (and other locations) is a Deka battery.

You need to use the two spacers provided with the battery when attaching the battery terminals.

The spacers go between the battery terminal and the cable end. And the cable ends mount flush as they should.

Look at this picture of the Deka battery, you will see the two spacers on top of the "red plastic piece" provided with the battery.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=510

Put your glasses on, look close they are there............!!!

No need to be "jury rigging" anything, just use the spacers......!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey Dave, you could just us an impact wretch to tighten the battery terminal bolts... That will mash the terminal and make a real good connection... I recommend between 80 and 90 lbs/ft torque... Our good friend George taught me all about this technique...

:joke::joke::joke:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had no problems with these WestCo batteries for years and this is just one that prevents the cable end from connecting flush to the terminal. Either that or the cable end is bad and I need to make the hole bigger so the bolt will go through allowing the cable end to mount flush with the terminal.

The main point is it's a sealed battery and one tends to forget to check it because you don't have to deal with fluid levels because it maintenance free so what I'm saying is check it anyways just to keep the area clean and check that things are tight. And yes I did use a brass wire brush to clean the connection points so the connection is solid.

It's a sealed WESTCO not a Deka. No spacers since I've never had to use any in previous installations.

http://www.westcobattery.com/downloads/westcobattery.pdf

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have had no problems with these WestCo batteries for years and this is just one that prevents the cable end from connecting flush to the terminal. Either that or the cable end is bad and I need to make the hole bigger so the bolt will go through allowing the cable end to mount flush with the terminal.

The main point is it's a sealed battery and one tends to forget to check it because you don't have to deal with fluid levels because it maintenance free so what I'm saying is check it anyways just to keep the area clean and check that things are tight. And yes I did use a brass wire brush to clean the connection points so the connection is solid.

It's a sealed WESTCO not a Deka. No spacers since I've never had to use any in previous installations.

http://www.westcobattery.com/downloads/westcobattery.pdf

The SVR is manufactured by East-Penn Manufacturing (EPM) in Lyon Station, PA. And it is a Deka battery.

EPM manufactures the Deka batteries and sells them to various outlets such as Westco, Battery Mart, Battery Warehouse etc.

Then the various outlets put their own labels on the battery such as SVR, Big Crank etc. etc.

When Battery Mart receives the Deka batteries from EPM, they have two labels, Deka and Big Crank. They stick the Big Crank label on the battery and the Deka label goes in "file 13". Same thing happens at other outlets.

The batteries that go to the East-Penn Warehouse have the Deka label on them. I purchase mine from the EPM Warehouse near where I live.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I small word of advice for what its worth...NEVER trust a crip on terminal...most of all around a battery...! The acid will and there always is some....will eat at it...and soon you will have problem. Take the plastic off and SOLDER the wire to the terminal. You can just solder it, or crip and solder...which ever is find.

:thumbup:

·
Vendor
18,593 Posts
Yuasa is the "correct" battery for the wing.

True, there are several batteries that are similar in size, but few are designed just for the wing. I think you have one of those or you would not have a fitment issue.
QUOTE]

Exactly ... start with getting the correct battery in there. Like DJ said ... Yuasa makes one intended to fit a GL1800. The fitment you have is the reason Honda does not buy that brand. Or maybe it is a quality control issue when being made, in either case get one you can count on ... a Yuasa.

Also, you do not have a correct battery terminal bolt. Get one intended to be used as a battery connection bolt. They are made of special matterial. Once you get the correct battery and battery bolts, make sure you do something with that extra wire that was added. A wire that size should be crimped with $200 crimping tool and not a $50 one. That looks like a crimp you can use on wires that are not exposed to climate and vibration.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1. Deka MAY make the physical battery but to WestCo's specifications therefore it's a WestCo battery. You can't buy something off the shelf and put your name on it and sell it as yours, it's illegal. I've heard that Yuasa makes other batteries like Interstate and Die Hard but because they make them to Die Hard's spec's, it's a Die Hard.

2. The battery is made for Wings and, as I said before I've used them with no problems. It's the second one in this bike and the first one was fine.

Also, you do not have a correct battery terminal bolt. Get one intended to be used as a battery connection bolt. They are made of special matterial. Once you get the correct battery and battery bolts, make sure you do something with that extra wire that was added. A wire that size should be crimped with $200 crimping tool and not a $50 one. That looks like a crimp you can use on wires that are not exposed to climate and vibration.
Tell that to Electrical Connection since they make the Master ground block. http://electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/02207.htm and it's their recomendation to use the connectors they provide.

I've wired lights and accessories for 5 wings and I've learned from all kinds of mechanics, some of which were aircraft mechanics and none have gotten so bent-outta-shape over things like this. Geeez!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
You can't buy something off the shelf and put your name on it and sell it as yours, it's illegal.
Ummmm... you're not accurate.

Sears comes to mind among several thousand other names.

Many companies do not make the original product but do have an arrangement with the original manufacturer and they do re-brand it under a different name.

Happens every single day.

I think you are talking about copyright or patent infringement which does not apply to this discussion.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Well....dang!

I'm currently building a couple of bikes capable (I hope) of going around the world (see http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69754 - you'll have to register, but no worries, Glenn will not spam you).

One of my mods involves a pair of ring terminals connected to the battery terminals. I used terminals like this one:

The crimp is good and proper, using the proper tool. I covered each terminal using adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing, to include a smear of RTV on the side closest to the battery terminal for good measure.

Now, I see this:

I small word of advice for what its worth...NEVER trust a crip on terminal...most of all around a battery...! The acid will and there always is some....will eat at it...and soon you will have problem. Take the plastic off and SOLDER the wire to the terminal. You can just solder it, or crip and solder...which ever is find.

:thumbup:

Well, since I did not solder the crimps on my terminals, this got my curiosity riled. I fished around in my spare parts bin for some unused battery terminals that were provided with various battery chargers I've purchased over the years. I found several, all of which had crimped-on ring terminals with no apparent solder applied.

Here is a closeup photo of one of said terminals:

No solder in sight. However, the individual wire strands appear to be tinned.....I'm not sure. Keep in mind that the associated ring terminal is supposed to be connected directly to a battery terminal.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this one? Do these crimps need to be soldered? It appears as if some battery charger manufacturers don't think so.....

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Battery maintenance is one of the most frequently over-looked. Especially after a couple of years of riding. Removing and cleaning the battery terminals is significant to a healthy charging system and good starting. Having a battery load tested once a year after the first couple of years will also reveal any tell-tale signs of potential battery issues. Using a Battery Tender is also a good thing to use when not riding. As a general rule, charging systems will not keep a battery fully charged on short trips or around town. Especially after the battery has been in service for several years.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts