GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery bug is telling me that my battery is 65%. At what percentage is it recommended to change? Any advantage to going with a gel battery over stock?

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
If its original on an '01, WOW and do get a new one NOW.

prs

·
Registered
202 Posts
My battery bug is telling me that my battery is 65%. At what percentage is it recommended to change? Any advantage to going with a gel battery over stock?
According to the battery bug website, you are fine at 65%.

When starting health drops below 30%, the
‘weak battery’ icon ( ) will turn on. When
starting health drops below 10%, an audible
alarm will sound for 30 seconds after the engine
is turned off, and the ‘replace battery’ icon
( ) will turn on. When this condition occurs,
your battery is near the end of its useful life
and starting failure is imminent. Replace your
battery to avoid an unexpected failure.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Mine went down to 29% before the bike balked at starting. I had a dry battery that I bought from DLP on sale. I conditioned the new battery and installed it, hooked up the BatteryBug and it showed 100% and hasn't moved from that since.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the third season with the current battery. It starts great and there are no issues at all.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I would say 3 to 4 years on a battery than replace it. If your close to home you can push it a little longer before you replace but if you are heading on a trip I would hate to be caught in the middle of no where with a dead battery.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't have a Battery Bug. My battery is an original in my '06. I have over 150,000 kms on the bike and the battery is working fine. If the bike is sitting for awhile I always put the battery on a smart charger.

Having said all that I guess I can expect the battery to fail soon.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Although expensive, the new lithium iron batteries might be something you want to look at, too. You'll save about 9.5 lbs and they don't loose a charge while sitting nearly as much as standard batteries do. Also, they have a slightly higher crank amperage, so your bike should start up a bit quicker. I haven't used one, but will definately give them a try as I replace batteries in my bikes.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The reading could be misleading. The "Bug" remembers the worst condition. Lets say you backed up your bike about 25 FT or you aimed new driving lights or anything similar that would draw the voltage way down.
Even after riding or charging, the "Bug" is remembering that worst condition and constantly comparing it to the present working voltage :shock:.
The answer is to do a "Bug" reset. Disconnect it and reconnect. Sort of like a lobotomy on the little "Bugs" brain.
I got this info from Argus.
It happens because the battery is really a bit small for the Wing to save weight :shrug:.
It is the same battery used on the Honda VTX1800 bikes.
I have been seriously considering a reset button in the line to correct unusual voltage drop down readings :thumbup:.
Don't run out and purchase a new battery without trying a reset and watching the readings for a couple of days ;).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reset advice. Have done the reset and will see how it goes over the next few days. I have been doing some work on the bike so that is probably why the battery condition dropped.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After reset and lots of miles in the Rockies, battery bug reads 86% after the reset.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Thanks for posting. I was wondering the same thing. Mine reads 57% on a 3 year old battery.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
What specifically does the 'Battery Bug" measure? From a couple of the above posts, it 'sounds like' it measures the state of charge.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Just replaced a Deka that i put in my old bike an 02 back in 07/09/05. It was still doing good but my buddy that has it now thought we needed to change it and so did I. I did a load test on it and it was still in the low end of the green. I think any batt that last 6 years has served its purpose.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Our former Chapter Director Bob Fowler sold battery insurance for $100/year. If your battery ever failed, he would personally come over and replace the battery at NO EXTRA COST. Bob is gone now, sure miss his personal service to our membership.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
This is my 6th year on the original battery. No trickle charger ever. Still going strong. :cool:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts