GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2001 GL1800 with original battery and will be starting the 4th season with it. What is the typical battery life and should a person install a new one just to be on the safe side?

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
52 Posts
After a couple of GL1500's and not ever getting more than 3 years on a battery I decided to try a couple of things....

I'm forced to put the bike up for several months in the winter and using a battery tender never helped the life of the batteries on the 15's.

Like the above post Im starting my 4 season.....

I noticed last fall as I put the tender on the 1800 that it was slow to start and I have a load tested sitting here from my former job....

The load test (SAE Standard) for 15 seconds is 3 x's the Amp Hour Rating and the number on the stock battery was 18 so that meant that it should hold a 54 amp load for 15 seconds.... It wouldn't do that... so I charged the battery and tried a 50 amp load which it held.... this test told me that the battery was loosing its ability to hold full capacity.....

I looked around and ordered a replacement from HDL and put it in about a week ago....

Its important to take the time and follow the charge procedure when you install a dry charge battery....

I just don't think there is enough reserve capacity based on the size of the case to get one of these batteries past about 3 years... maybe in AZ were the cold start is always above 50, but in the spring I'm often asking the engine to start at 25-30 early in the morning for my ride to work...

·
Registered
759 Posts
my original 02 battery lasted a whole 15 months before it took a dump....and yes..I kept it on a tender. My take on average battery life, 3 or 4 years...after that..gets kinda iffy in myho. 1800 battery is warrantied for either 3 or 7 yrs..depending on which warranty you have.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
battery life

I have discovered if you don't play the radio when the bike is not running you will get better battery life. Mine is past 3 years old, maintained on a battery tender, but, i'll probably get a new battery just to be on the safe side before my first trip this season. It might decide to take a dump in the middle of bumscrew, nowhere with no battery in sight.
JD

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
battery life

mine is past 3 years old, i will but a new oem before the riding season begins just to be on the safe side, no need to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with no battery to be found.
JD
:biker:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Robert Schilling said:
my original 02 battery lasted a whole 15 months before it took a dump....and yes..I kept it on a tender. My take on average battery life, 3 or 4 years...after that..gets kinda iffy in myho. 1800 battery is warrantied for either 3 or 7 yrs..depending on which warranty you have.
The stock battery is only covered for the initial 3 year warranty. The extended Honda warranty doesn't cover the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts