GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Wing and have now started my 9th riding season on it. I'm still on the original battery! I've never had a battery last this long, not even in my cars. Is this normal? It still shows no signs of dying and starts right up like the day I bought the bike. Has anyone else gotten this kind of life out of their battery?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yes, I have. I had a 9 year old battery on my ST1100 and only had to replace it because after a ride one day I left the aftermarket CB turned on. It drained the battery in three days.

If I were you I think I would order a new battery and install it when it arrives. I'd keep the old one a s 12 volt source for bench projects. I think the OEM battery is a Yuasa YTX20L-BS.

On my GL1500 Wing, I had to replace the battery after 7 years. It was an Interstate Battery. I had routinely kept a Battery Tender on it but it just gave up the ghost one day on its seventh birthday. There was enough current to start the bike up and then the battery must have lost a cell with the current load of starting. Ya just never know.

It has a Moto Batt in it since Oct 2016 and the Battery Bug is saying there is 27% life left. I will put a YUASA YTX24HL-BS in it when I replace it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I’m on year 13. I verified the manufacture date with Yuasa using the code on the battery, so even though I bought the bike used, the bike is a 2008 and I think its OE.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm still on the original battery from my 2012 as well. I will stick with Yuasa when it is time to replace it

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
I got 8 or 9 seasons on my original battery and it never saw a second of a tender/maintainer. The only reason I changed it was because I read here too much! LOL! And I had a $25 Delco battery from Amazon sitting on the shelf. That's lasted 3 seasons.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I got one of those AC Delco batteries also for my '08. Never did need it. Now I have a '13. Load tested it the other day and still in good shape. So, the Delco is still sitting on the shelf.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I'm on my original battery on my 2008. It may last 50 more years, or one day. That is the range of battery life. Can't be predicted. Some guys replace every "x" years to be "safe". There is no "safe" on a battery.

·
Vendor
16,814 Posts
Yuasa is worth every penny they sell their batteries for. I wish I could find a car battery with a reputation like Yuasa has in the Powersprot industry.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Still have the original battery in my 2012 also. Sits on a Battery Tender when not riding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have never been interested in becoming the record holder for longest battery life. I buy a new one every 4 years. I just never know when I might need a strong battery in the prime of its life.

·
Registered
299 Posts
2012 and also on original battery. I put it on the tender if not riding for 2 weeks or more. I think will put a new one in before I take a long trip though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the original battery in my 13 but am going to change it before my trip in three weeks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2012 Wing and have now started my 9th riding season on it. I'm still on the original battery! I've never had a battery last this long, not even in my cars. Is this normal? It still shows no signs of dying and starts right up like the day I bought the bike. Has anyone else gotten this kind of life out of their battery?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My battery in my 2012 was replaced last summer. Just because I knew it was getting old and I didn't want to be stranded somewhere. Put it in one of my riding mowers that needed a battery and is still going strong.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 2012 still has the OEM battery as well. I plug it into my Battery Tender any time I'm not riding. It performs like a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have a season for riding, 365 excluding rain when avoidable. On year 9 of an Autozone battery of which I could not even tell you the manufacturer. Keep a battery tender on in the winter, otherwise just day to day starts

·
Registered
918 Posts
I replaced my battery on my 2012 last year in June and it is now running a computer back up.
New battery does seem to sling it over just a tad faster. It should since it has more CCA than the original. GYZ20HL has 320cca and the OEM GYZ20L has 250cca.
Not sure i would recommend anyone to modify like i had to but i like it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I finally replaced my battery a few weeks ago when it would not start. I got 8+ years out of it so no complaints.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts