GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to keep the battery maintainer hooked to the bike and powered up while the bike is in the ACC position? I don't want to kill the battery while programing a route in the on board NAV system.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I do it when I'm working on the bike so I can use my satellite radio. The Battery Tender shows red and then goes to green about 30 min. after a 2 hr. use approx. I've seen posts that don't reccomend starting while it is connected.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bulldog said:
If you have the EC Power Block and the "Tender" hooked to it, it is circuit protected.

Bulldog
Depending on how you have the power block connected, though, you won't get power to the battery from the tender if the key is in the "ACC" position. That would defeat the purpose of the original poster's desire to run the battery tender while programming his GPS.

I think if your battery runs down while you're building a route on your GPS with the key on "acc" though, you've probably got bigger problems. I wouldn't worry about having the tender connected for that purpose to begin with. Just don't forget to turn the key off once you're done with your routing.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Another argument for an aftermarket GPS. I do my routing on my PC then download them to my Garmin 2610. :wink:

Other than a simple find/go-to route, I'm not sure I could even build a route on my GPS. I take my notebook computer on trips for away-from-home routing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts