GL1800Riders Forums banner

Ok it's down to these two guys on the corner (from WingStuff)

• Yuasa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Westco

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, It's down to two guys on the block,
Yuasa
&
Westco
Please pick one tell me why?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have been Yuasa batteries with great success in motorcycles since 1966, I have tried others but they did not deliver for the long haul.

I have found Yuasa easy to deal with, they publish great info pamphlets and now most of the info is available on their website for downloading. I have always been pleased with their customer service and especially the product.

Nothing against Westco, I just have used many Yuasa batteries over the years. I did use a Westco battery in a Miata once, traded the car after two years so it really was not tested. It just happened to be the one I could get the quickest when I needed a replacement.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I've been using Deka batteries (usually available at Batteries Plus) since they are the manufacturer for OEM Harley batteries. They have Goldwing applications. I usually pay $20-30 less than HD dealer prices for the same battery. Made in the USA, I believe.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Is there a question in this Poll? :shrug:
thecruiser

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
My original OEM Yuasa was installed in the Wing in October of 2004. The bike only had 3061. miles on it when I purchased it used in March of 09; mostly sat in a garage unused and the battery on a tender "sometimes". I have put 70k on the bike since then, and ride all year round. My GL1800 is parked outside every night, and ridden most every day whether it's 7-degrees or 104-degrees.

My original Yuasa has never failed to crank strong and fast. This winter was so long and tough... the bike was actually frozen on a couple of occasions at my 6am commute. Yet, the battery just keeps on firing... instant start-ups! I have no plans to pre-emtively change it out either.

WHY WOULD I CONSIDER ANOTHER BRAND/model for the GL1800? :bow:

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I have a 01 and changed the battery once enough said:shrug:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My Yuasa batteries averaged 9 years. I did have one that failed in only 5 years. It sat through several cold winters not on a tender, sometimes for two months at a time. When I get results like that I would never bother experimenting with another brand. If you search you can find Yuasa at very reasonable prices too.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Yuasa. My reason? I know Yuasa is good. I don't know anything about Westco. I tend to stick with what I know works and not take chances. Taking chances can sometimes teach you expensive lessons.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Yuasa, for me also

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Who is Westco? Do they make batteries sold at WalMart?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Yuasa all the way. It is OEM for a reason... reliability. Yes, on occasion they fail. Happened to me many years ago, but the thing was 4 years old. Someone can practice or experiment with other brands, but I'm going with what is tried and true. Case closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts