GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a brand new wing with 500 miles and the battery won't stay charged. If i sit with ignition on for more than a minute, messing with the radio or anything, the **** thing won't start. Been reading on here that others are having problems. I called dealer and he said he would send me another one (we are in different states). My dealers service is outstanding and he told me they have had some with the plates shorting out. I thought going to Honda from HD would eliminate these little BS problems.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I can leave mine on for over 20 minutes with no problems. Looks like YUSA put out a bad batch of batteries.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Interesting,

Just had a conversation recently with my Dealer about another issue. Service manager mentioned that Honda has had some isolated problems with Batteries Going Bad over the last couple of years. Seems the dealers are fully aware of the problem.

The way my dealer put it was you could have 100 batteries out there and 5 fail prematurely for unexplained reasons. The other 95 perform as you would expect without problems.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought going to Honda from HD would eliminate these little BS problems.

Neither HD nor Honda make their own batteries.

HD sources from East Penn Manufacturing and Honda (and almost everyone else) sources from Yuasa.

I have had Yuasa batteries in all my bikes from 4 different manufacturers for over two decades with no issues whatsoever.

But you are welcome to buy an East Penn battery too - if you would like. They make good batteries too.

Yuasa has been reliable - However bad batches can happen, so unless your bike is doing something weird - my guess is it was just a bad battery.

My Yuasa in my Triumph Rocket 3 lasted 8 years before I replaced it - and it was still was working fine, I just didn’t want to tempt fate with an 8 year old battery while out traveling...

If Honda replaces the battery without hassle - then they are doing everything they should do in this situation. If it keeps happening after that - it’s likely the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Batteries often die from long periods of deep discharge and there are plenty of 2018 & 2019 Wings that were prepped under Honda's direction to demo the new Wing like no other Honda in recent memory. Most bikes don't get a battery installed until it is sold but Wings were treated different the last couple of years.

The dealer I worked for had several with batteries in them on the floor at all times with salespeople and customers playing with the electronics all the time. It was not unusual to go to demo a bike and the battery was already flat or a few minutes from it. Sure, we replaced the dead or dying battery when sold if it was noticeably discharged at sale but many went out with partially sulphated batteries. That's my observation. I don't think Yuasa quality has anything to do with it.

Honda would warranty replacement batteries to the dealer but if the service or part manager wasn't on the ball they might run out of the OEM batteries and be forced to try and rehabilitate a battery to deliver the bike. In the Southeast USA Interstate Battery is the supplier of Honda OEM and sometimes they run out of stock, the result is no OEM replacements for a week or two until Interstate got stock back in.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I bought, properly prepared and charged a new Yuasa battery; put it in the wing and started the bike just fine. Shut the bike down, went into the house a took care of a few items. Came back out and put the key back in the bike, hit the starter and nothing. Checked the voltage and it was less than 8V. Disconnected the battery and put it back on the charger and that brand new battery would not take a charge. This was just over a year ago.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine has drained down to the point where the bike wouldn't start twice now from just sitting less than two weeks at a time. Never had a bike or battery do that, that quick.

Plus, once you try and start the bike with a drained battery, you can't shut everything back off with just the switch/knob and have to go thru part of the emergency start procedure to get the saddle bag open, to remove the cover, to unscrew a battery terminal so you can charge the d*** thing back up. What a joke.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had one of the pre-ordered 2018 goldwing tours. It didn't set a week at the dealership before I drove it home in April of 2018. My battery went bad with just 6300 miles on it and had owned it for 9 months. Honda would not stand behind my battery. Some dealerships will, but mine would not. I had to pay for new battery and it works fine and has since the battery was replaced in November 2018. A good number of these bikes had defective batteries. Since yours is so new and dealer is getting you another, it should be fine once the other one is installed. Wish mine had gone bad after just 500 miles. Could have saved me $170.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a brand new wing with 500 miles and the battery won't stay charged. If i sit with ignition on for more than a minute, messing with the radio or anything, the **** thing won't start. Been reading on here that others are having problems. I called dealer and he said he would send me another one (we are in different states). My dealers service is outstanding and he told me they have had some with the plates shorting out. I thought going to Honda from HD would eliminate these little BS problems.
At least you don't have to worry anymore about the trans oil finding it's way into the primary.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine has drained down to the point where the bike wouldn't start twice now from just sitting less than two weeks at a time. Never had a bike or battery do that, that quick.

Battery Tender

Modern bikes have lots of electronics. Just like modern cars. When the bike is “off” it’s not really completely off.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Battery Tender

Modern bikes have lots of electronics. Just like modern cars. When the bike is “off” it’s not really completely off.

The specified battery current leakage on the old wings was 5 mA. The specified battery current leakage on the 18-19 wings is 1.2 mA maximum.

:doorag:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Yes lots of dead battery threads lately, and lots of theories why. Anything made can be defective but this isn't Yuasa first rodeo. This battery has been in production for some time now, and used in a variety of power sport products ATV, SxS, snowmobiles, and by other motorcycles manufacturers including older Goldwings. And get very good reviews. On the other hand the new Goldwing has a new starting system, new charging system, new wiring system, up to nine new computers and modules, proximity sensors, etc. if everything is working in harmony.. no problem, maybe it will have less parasitic drag than the former Goldwing. But there is a lot more possibilities that it is not working in harmony and a greater chance that the drag could be a lot more.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Yes lots of dead battery threads lately, and lots of theories why. Anything made can be defective but this isn't Yuasa first rodeo. This battery has been in production for some time now, and used in a variety of power sport products ATV, SxS, snowmobiles, and by other motorcycles manufacturers including older Goldwings. And get very good reviews. On the other hand the new Goldwing has a new starting system, new charging system, new wiring system, up to nine new computers and modules, proximity sensors, etc. if everything is working in harmony.. no problem, maybe it will have less parasitic drag than the former Goldwing. But there is a lot more possibilities that it is not working in harmony and a greater chance that the drag could be a lot more.
Yes. I don't think it's any one thing. I think what we're seeing is a confluence of causes in machines as heavily electronic-centric as these: Some bad batteries, some sitting too long pre- and post-sales, some failures caused by faults causing too much parasitic-drain, some caused by ignitions not fully turning off. A few here, a few there from a variety of causes adds up.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
The specified battery current leakage on the old wings was 5 mA. The specified battery current leakage on the 18-19 wings is 1.2 mA maximum.

I measured the quiescent drain on my 2002 and IIRC it was between 2 and 3 milliamps. I believe the most common problem for this battery failure in the new model bike is how it sometimes does not shut off completely when switched off. Some say it is because the rear wheel is still a bit in motion, I do not know. I have had it happen twice and I now double check every time.

prs

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I believe the most common problem for this battery failure in the new model bike is how it sometimes does not shut off completely when switched off. Some say it is because the rear wheel is still a bit in motion, I do not know. I have had it happen twice and I now double check every time.
prs

I Agree.
Turn the knob to off, turn it again counter clockwise, no need to turn the handle bars, you will get a beep, problem solved.:smile2:

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
I measured the quiescent drain on my 2002 and IIRC it was between 2 and 3 milliamps. I believe the most common problem for this battery failure in the new model bike is how it sometimes does not shut off completely when switched off. Some say it is because the rear wheel is still a bit in motion, I do not know. I have had it happen twice and I now double check every time.

prs
I’ll keep “knocking on wood.” Mine has never failed to shut off with a single turn of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
You may mostly park on side stand and that would about assure the rear wheel is not in motion. But on center stand, at least with the DCT bikes, the rear wheel tends to turn even in neutral. If the rear "wheel turning" theory holds true, that could be a bug-a-boo. Hmmm. In the owner's manual, does Honda instruct always parking with the park brake set?

prs

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
I’ll keep “knocking on wood.” Mine has never failed to shut off with a single turn of the ignition switch.

I hope your luck continues. It's a giant pain when you come back to the bike and it's dead. It's happened to me twice now, and I'm certain the rear wheel wasn't moving either time. The first time it happened I was able to start the bike even though the fob was inside the house and nowhere near the bike. The second time I had just purchased, and was carrying, a portable jump-starter (https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-20800mAh-SuperSafe-Portable-Protection/dp/B06XY35D93). Since then I've made a habit of turning the ignition knob off twice--no big deal--and it hasn't happened since. But if it does, I've got the jump starter.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
249 Posts
You may mostly park on side stand and that would about assure the rear wheel is not in motion. But on center stand, at least with the DCT bikes, the rear wheel tends to turn even in neutral. If the rear "wheel turning" theory holds true, that could be a bug-a-boo. Hmmm. In the owner's manual, does Honda instruct always parking with the park brake set?

prs
I did an experiment last night. I can 100% recreate the wheel turning and the bike will not turn completely off. There are a number of ways to counter this issue, I probably don't need to explain them to this crowd. I won't ever have this problem again because I understand what causes it.
It does make sense from the point of view of not having your bike turn off accidentally while moving.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts